Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot see other users files/documents on shared computer?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. I share this PC with my daughter who normally has a limited account while mine is the administrator account. For some strange reason while uninstalling/reinstalling my Firewall, on reboot I have lost the Windows starting, Log-On, Log-off and Recycle bin sounds. All my other video / audio sounds are working perfectly and it isn't a fault with the soundcard.
In Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds, I have the appropriate sounds when I test them but the ones mentioned above are not working on my account. I checked my daughters account and they are all working there so thinking it was a corrupt account problem I decided to open a new account and transfer all my files to it before deleting my old account on completion.
First I changed my daughters account to administrator then following the tutorial I downloaded from here one time I opened a new account. I then entered my daughters "now administrative" account, ticked the two boxes and applied to show hidden folders and then I have to copy and paste the files and subfiles from my old account to my new account but cannot as I cannot see the folder for my account. I can see my daughters account folder as well as the shared and new account folders but not my present account folder.
I have a vague memory of making my account folders private once but cannot remember what i did, so cannot undo it. I have googled the problem but did not find a solution, so hopefully I can find one here. I thought that by giving my daughters account administrative rights I would then see it but apparently not. Does anybody know where I am going wrong and offer a solution?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Access hidden admin. account
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
Not sure if this will help at all
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Garmanma, I can get into the admin account ok in safe mode in XP Home. When I hover the mouse over the folder to my account from my daughters account I am told it is empty. if I double click on it I get the following warning pop up.

Documents and Settings
C:\Documents and Settings\"Account name" is not accessible.
Access is denied
OK.

I googled some more about this and came across a couple of articles on taking ownership of the folder. I followed the article below and afterwords found it was still the same. Although I never made any changes to the default settings in the permissions box as I was unsure which one if any to change.

To take ownership of a folder To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
1.Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2.Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4.In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objectscheck box.
5.Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message: You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6.Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Well that was going to be my next suggestion
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

To get the Welcome screen back go to User Accounts then change the way a user login's. It should be unchecked, just check it then hit apply. I would not use that firewall again, because it should make drastic changes to your system upon removal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users