Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - "Dependency service or group failed to start"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewRoman

AndrewRoman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

I use my computer for everything, from work to play and to have her not be able to connect to the internet is frustrating me. This is the first time I've had a problem such as this and though i'm pretty good at fixing problems on my own the solution has surpassed my expertise. I'm going to give a quick history so that you can get a feel for what may be happening. She is a relatively new home built system, running windows vista ultimate 64 bit edition.

The problem started the other day when I removed my wireless adapter from its PCI slot Trendnet TEW-423 and replaced it with a friends Linksys WMP110 at the time I was not using the Trendnet adapter it was disabled in windows and I was planning on removing it completely from my system. I was temporarily using at the time a Linksys Compact Wireless G USB Adapter which had been working fine but I was seeking on a quicker connection and that is where the problem started.

When I started my system up with the new hardware the Linksys WMP110 and using the USB adapter to download the updated drivers from the Linksys site. After downloading and running the driver software to install the Linksys WMP110 the system froze and I had to hold down the power button to shut my machine down. When I restarted with the card still in, it was still freezing after a few minutes of running and I immediately removed the card which fixed the freezing problem but now with just the USB adapter installed it has a new problem. The network icon is saying "Connection Status: Unknown The dependency service or group failed to start" I have researched the problem and tried a few fixes but nothing is working. I'm kinda at the point to start backing up my data and preparing to restore completely.

I have tried these methods:

Netsh Winsock reset - Didn't work after restarting system.

Network Location Awareness file - After checking the Services, NLASVC is not running and is giving "Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services in the same process." When trying to run any of NLASVC dependencies such as Network List Service and SL UI Notification Service the message "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." is given. I'm assuming that the NLASVC is corrupt and when I replaced the file with one from another computer it still didn't fix the problem this was the fix I heard about online. Also, NLASVC is saying in the description field "Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2"

System Restore - Was able to run through the system restore but when the computer restarted it said it wasn't able to perform a system restore. Repeated three times to no avail.

System File Checker - Found errors and repaired them but did not fix the problem.

Windows Updates - I heard installing a service pack would help fix the problem which before the problem started my computer had finished downloading and was for me to confirm the install.

I really need to get this system running again, so please if you need anymore information just ask, I think I provided everything.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AndrewRoman, 01 February 2010 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

Maybe a stupid question but....

Did you download the right version?

#3 AndrewRoman

AndrewRoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Did I download the right version of what? The driver for the Linksys WMP110? For all I knew it was the right version but after experiencing this problem I found out that other people had it to when using this wireless card that it caused there computers to freeze in vista.

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Linksys WMP110 Version 1.0 or version 2.0, should be on the card somewhere.

#5 AndrewRoman

AndrewRoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:26 AM

It doesnt have any version on it which means its version 1

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

Read the post from Shujinko, post 19 of 21 @ Linksys.

Edited by ratchet48, 02 February 2010 - 06:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users