Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where To Find Drivers For XP Pro Install On HP Pavilion dv4 2040us

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:57 AM

Once again, hello. And--once again--thank you in advance for any help that anyone is willing to offer. I appreciate it. Earlier today, with some effort, I was actually able to install XP Pro on my HP Pavilion dv4 2040us (AMD Turion II M50, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200) in a dual boot configuration with the originally installed Windows 7. Go Team. Using EasyBCD and iReboot (thanks Google; thanks NeoSmart), I'm able to move between the operating systems without a hitch. The problem I'm now experiencing is an inability to find XP compatible drivers for my machine. I've spent a handful of hours searching, but to no avail. Do any of you more knowledgeable posters have any idea(s) where I might find compatible drivers? I'm especially keen to find a wireless (Atheros AR5009 a/g/n WiFi adaptor) driver, as an Atheros site search actually comes up with no matches for that entry! I understand that it's actually possible that these drivers don't exist, but maybe some kind soul knows of a site where I could download "generic" drivers, or something to that effect. All suggestions welcome, and thanks again for the effort.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

Have you tried HP site direct !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

doinmeedin: thanks for the thought. I failed to mention--probably because I was so disappointed--that the HP site was the first place I looked, but there are only a half-dozen software & driver downloads when I select dv4 2040us running XP, none of which seem to do anything. I understand that HP feels no need to have XP drivers & software for this model; I was just hoping that someone knew a place to find such beasts.

#4 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:10 AM

Having found no other option, I installed my Win 7 wireless driver and it seems to be working fine. I downloaded avast! setup files and Windows XP updates (62 of them!), and so far so good. Anyway, I hope this helps someone else dealing with the same issue, and I'll check out my other Win 7 drivers and then leave a post.

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply !

Good Luck Chuck ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

OK. After updating Windows (close to 100 updates altogether!), I went to the HP site and ran their Health Scan. All seems well, but it mentioned three (3) things that I'm missing: an SM Bus Controller, a Video Controller, and a Serial Device. Please, does anybody have any clue what these are and where I could find them? I've been searching for answers but, if anything, I'm simply getting more and more confused :thumbsup: . My chipset is an AMD M880G with ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, but I finding nothing at the AMD/ATI site matching these. Thanks for any help.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 02 February 2010 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users