Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive can not read dvd+r ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hi all, I'm usually here helping people but I recently found out something very strange.
I have an internal Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1 E-IDE DVD Burner Model # 32023235. It has the latest 1.07 Firmware.
For the longest time I have been having un-resolved issues with this drive which I could not pinpoint.
Even though you may say the drive is old (manufactured June 2003), it has been in storage in its origional container (unopened) since I bought it in 2003.
I had a problem with it when I tried to install the Windows 7 Home Preimum DVD in December 2009. It would NOT read the DVD!
I got past that issue, but it seemed like everytime I burned a DVD, the disk looked burned, but the disk always showed 0 Bytes! No files no nothing! By the way the DVD media is Maxell DVD+R!
When I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium I started using Paragon easy cd/dvd recorder, because Roxio's 6.1 burner software was NOT compatable with Windows 7.
Yesterday I bite the bullet and bought an external "Portable I/O Magic USB 2.0 8X DVD +/-R/RW", it came with Nero SmartStart software.
Any way...the Paragon easy cd/dvd recorder software allows the right clicking of each burner device, where it shows a PROPERTIES menu.
This convienant feature allows me to see what the properties of "each" burner drive has, for what it can READ and what it can WRITE.
I checked my I/O Magic drive and noticed every format is both READ and WRITE.
The Memorex drive properties show it can BURN a DVD+R disk, but the read properties claims it can not READ a DVD+R disk.
I find this very strange because the DVD drive's BOX and owners manual Specs say it can read both DVD+R and DVD-R.
Although it does burn to a dvd+r disk it shows the disk has 0 Bytes.
Also yes I have tried cleaning the lense with a cotton swab and alcohol
The purpose of this post is I'm asking how it is possible for the drive's DVD+R read ability can fail, without everything else failing?
What are your opinions on this issue? Take it back to Staples? No way, although its only been used less than a year, My recepit says 2003 LOL. :thumbsup:

By the way the External I/O Magic DVD-RW drive DID successfully burn my DVD+R disk!!!!!!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 February 2010 - 06:15 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users