Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Master Boot Record seeing wrong OS(es)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Colby A.

Colby A.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

I had Windows 7 installed on a 250 gb drive and wanted to transfer it to a 500 gb drive I had. So, I downloaded and used Acronis True Image, made a backup of the 250 gb drive and recovered it to the 500 gb drive. This process (presumably) properly formatted and recovered the backup. All of my information is there and Windows 7 works properly

However, every time the computer starts, it comes to the Boot Manager and asks to boot into Vista or Ubuntu - but I've never had either OS installed on any of these hard disks I'm using. They're all fresh installs of Windows 7 (except, of course, this one is installed from a backup). I'm guessing Acronis True Image uses a modified Ubuntu mini-OS to do it's reboot recovery thing, but I have no idea why it plugged itself into this hard disk's MBR.

How can I fix my MBR to recognize the partition as Windows 7 (instead of Vista) and remove Ubuntu from the MBR alltogether?

Please note: I have my Windows 7 install disk and have used the Start Up repair utility, as well as command line to run bootsect.exe to try and repair/rewrite the MBR, but it hasn't been working. Also, the Windows 7 repair utilities recognize the partition as Windows Vista.

Like I said, for some reason when I let Boot Manager boot into Windows Vista, it properly starts my Windows 7 install. If I'm S.O.L., I can let it stay as Vista, but I'd really like to wipe Ubuntu at least, so it doesn't keep stopping at the Boot Manager. Although it'd still be nice to get the MBR recognizing it as Windows 7 instead of Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

MBR for both Vista and 7 is same. Just to be safe, do this :
- Boot into Windows
- Insert your Windows 7 DVD
- Open an elevated command prompt(admin access). To do this press Windows Key + R, type cmd and press Enter
- In the command prompt, give the command D:\boot\bootsect /nt60 /SYS /mbr Here we assume D: is your DVD driver letter.

Important : Backup your boot store before we mess with it :
In the same command prompt type : bcdedit /export C:\Backup This would create a backup in folder C:\Backup
In case you mess with it and want to restore it just give command : bcdedit /import C:\Backup
To give import command (if you cannot boot into Windows because u messed boot store), you have to boot into System Recovery using Windows DVD and select command prompt.

Removing the Ubuntu part :
- In the same elevated command prompt type : bcdedit. You would see many entries with description values. Look for a description value Ubuntu. When you find one, note immediately above this value the identifier value. For example :
identifier			  {54123456-ffff-1111-9999-a44444444dcc}
device				  partition=D:
path					\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
description			 Ubuntu
- Now give command to delete this value : bcdedit /delete {54123456-ffff-1111-9999-a44444444dcc} /cleanup Of course replace this example identifier value with the one you find.

Renaming Vista to Windows 7
- Similarly note down the entry with description as Windows Vista. Then find out its identifier value. Then give command :
bcdedit /set {5444444-fff2-1111-yyyy-zzzzzzzzzzzz} description "Windows 7" Replace this example identifier value with the one you find.

Be careful to type the identifier. You can copy paste in the command prompt. To copy, right click, select Mark, choose the portion you want to copy by dragging your mouse then press Enter. To paste, right click and select Paste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users