Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet bandwidth management over a local network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TelemarK

TelemarK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:21 AM

Hi all. :thumbsup:

I currently have a home network shared by 3 computers (2 WinXP Pro & 1 WinXP MC). I use a router to share the Internet access over the network... and here comes my question...

Do any of you know how to restrict the Internet bandwidth access, to 1 or 2 of the 3 computers, using the command prompt or any particular software? (I know I could just simply unplug the respective router cables, but that way my cousin would notice it... :flowers: )

I've asked about the command prompt because I've already seen that being done, however I don't recall how, neither could I find anything on the Internet after "goggling it"... :trumpet:

Thanks in advance,

:inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

yes depends on the router you have to manage your network. linksys and dlink do, it would be under QOS in your application and gaming subtabs. you can set priority levels here for wan access.
linksys SOHO routers like the WRT54G series with their firmware updates are excellent affordable routers with many administration capabilities.
what type of routyer do you have to use?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 TelemarK

TelemarK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:39 PM

Ty for replying Snapper. :thumbsup:

I've a Linksys BEFSR41 router managing my network.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

cool, open your web browser , type in 192.168.1.1
type in your username (admin is default) and password (admin or blank is default)
now, find applications and gaming in your routers list, then QOS, quality of service, from here at least you can make certain nodes more "important" then others, now you also have to make your ip static for this to work. this is the closest you can do to what you want with what you have as far as i know from what you have told me, good luck, and let me know how you made out!
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users