Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tambyte

tambyte

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

I have a friend with an old IBM desktop running XP pro service pack 2. One of his printers is an old Panasonic kx-p2123. He said when he plugged it in XP already had drivers for it. Yippee! It's been a couple years and i believe his hard drive was failing so, i put a new hard drive in, reinstalled XP and did all the latest updates including Service Pack 3.

He took his computer home and has been using it this past month, reinstalling programs and what not. He just today went to hook his old printer up and it won't recognize it. So, he used the hardware wizard and under the list of printer drivers he found his model and everything seemed to be going smoothly till the end he got an error: Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.

The only difference i would think is that service pack 3 is installed. If i uninstall it from add/remove will it have adverse affects on anything or is it safe to do. And if the printer still doesn't work, does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Just FYI before trying to install this printer, he installed two other printers successfully. I think one is a lexmark and one an hp, connected by usb. This older panasonic is parallel port.

I was reading on Google that someone said you might have to many printer drivers or something and it could confuse Windows, so you need to delete some cache file or something. Anyone know what they're talking about?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

According to This, the drivers are included in XP drivers cache.

I don't see how you can conclude that SP3 might be responsible...the driver seems to be there. Failure to install a driver, that's a different issue where any error must be analyzed to determine possible cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281534

Louis

#4 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Before trying to install his old Panasonic dot matrix, he installed two other printers, which installed successfully. Anyway, after Googling around for a solution as to why his Panasonic won't install, i thought maybe the driver cache somehow got corrupted, because i saw alot of posts that said to clear out all printer drivers, delete all your printers and then try to install said printer.

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to delete the driver cache, and decided instead to do a repair installation of XP. And it worked, the printer is now installed. But i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about clearing the cache without having to go through a repair install of XP. Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

You can't...the cache is part of the basic install of XP.

Clearing it would accomplish nothing positive, unless all drivers stored there are corrupted/damaged...which is unlikely.

A repair install rolls up all system files and replaces them with a fresh group. Ditto for a clean install, as far as replacing the driverscache.

Louis

#6 tambyte

tambyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

As far as repair installs go, is there a limit as to how many times you can do it without harming your system or is it not big deal as long as you have the 30 minutes give or take to do it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users