Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display window sizing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hi all!

Got a problem with vintage Dell GX110, XP-Pro SP3, KDS VS-19 monitor, updated drivers [as much as available]. Resolution is currently 1024 x 768, 600 x 800 no better.

Internet Explorer, Outlook Express etc. windows are fine, text size is okay, all programs display correctly. However anything that has a popup window displays far too big, cant see/access bottom 1/3 or so. Like when changing System Settings and clicking Hardware, then Device Manager and Preferences/Advanced or Settings [whatever it is] window opens too large, can't see the bottom, and can't raise window enough. Avira Premium control panel has bottom cut off, same with Online Armor control panel, most any process that has a popup type window.

Thing is the windows that open too large are possibly the very windows I need to access to change settings!

BTW I uninstalled & clean reinstalled Online Armor and Avira but no change.

Please, HELP!

Thanks
Spectacle

Edited by Spectacle, 31 January 2010 - 10:38 PM.

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hi again,

You can tell I'm not too computer savvy, sorry. In searching for a cure I saw reference to 'splash screens' and I'm thinking that's what these types of sorta pop-up windows are called. Anything in IE6, Outlook Express, websites etc. displays just fine, only this particular type of window opens too large when it opens out of a process.

Could somebody give me a clue to what this type window is correctly called, so I can search somewhere for an answer? Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

I don't know if this will help but just in case, right click on your desktop, select properties, click the appearance tab, click on the box that says advanced. From the drop down list toward the bottom select message box. Double check what size font you have set for that. It might be that if the font is large, the box wll be large.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Somehow my last post posted twice, sorry

Edited by Stang777, 01 February 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, Stang!

I tried your suggestion and it helped on a couple of the windows, not all. I took fonts down to 7, but they were only set at 9 to begin with. It did help a little, thanks!

While I was at it I discovered that on some windows, maybe called 'Splash windows' where the 'OK' or 'Apply' button is hidden below the bottom of monitor scree that I can instead hit 'Enter' on keyboard and cause the desired change.

Sure would like to get access to the other control panels in antivirus and firewall! Plus some system settings aren't available.

Thanks!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Sounds to me like you are running in accessibility mode.

#7 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

Uh oh, yes, I have fiddled around there! I'll go take another look. Strange thing is that it occurred suddenly, but still maybe connected to something I did wrong.

Thanks, that may be the answer!

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

You are welcome but I am sorry that it did not really solve the problem you are having. After reading your other thread I would suggest changing the performance setting back, for just a minute as I know you like it set that way, and just see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, maybe we can find a way to give you the increased performance yet still allow you to see everything.

#9 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for your help, Stang, it's very appreciated!

Beginning to think this is a deeper problem than settings. I changed monitors a couple of weeks ago but old monitor had the same problem. Possibly this comes from pretty ancient Dell GX-110 onboard graphics and onboard graphics drivers, and XP incompatability.

I have a spare older graphics card, 1998 'Rage 128', AMC version 2.0, no idea what it is. Will search online and try to get a clue, might work better with display on my 2000 KDS VS-19 monitor. Hope it doesn't blow up the monitor hah!

Still, I think it's caused deep in the system and somewhere that I can't access, or incompatible components.

Thanks for the help!

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Here are your drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx

#11 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Man, THANKS cryptodan!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent, I probably would never have discovered them. REALLY appreciate that!

I'll give her a whirl, see what happens, doubt it could get worse.

#12 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

I had a gx 110 on the bench last week and the video was so old I could not get clonzilla to start x. Ubuntu had to try several different modes to get a usable window up.

I know p-3 machines are still usable, but there are people throwing out p-4s now and you could probably just ask for one on your local craigs list.

I fix computers free for the unemployed and those on public assistance so I have to be able to fix p-3 and even older stuff, but I try to give them p-4's when I have them.

the gx110 has two pci slots running at 33mhz (riser card adapter in the small form factor versions) so you will be limited as to what addon video will work too.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/s...ns/ug/specs.htm

#13 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, Ken, great info! And God bless ya for helping those in need...

I'll reference that info and study the ATI card, see if I have a match. This is all temporary, hopefully building a new computer over the next few months. Just have to limp through till then. I too am on a very limited fixed income, so it's a one piece at a time build, ala Johnny Cash.

Thanks for the help!

#14 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi again!

Okay, I'm not too bright with computers. I thought I'd tried everything. Had a minor disaster when changing screen resolution a couple of months back so enough of that! I settled on 1024 x 768.

Mudhi from another forum suggested I change resolution again to the highest setting the system would handle. Okay, one more try, setting display resolution to 1152 x 864 in Control Panel > Display > Settings. PRESTO! I can now see all windows & splash screens, view all buttons etc. I might be able to go higher but this works fine.

So, in case others have the same problems, that's what worked for me....

By the way, the former disaster was because I accidently hit 'Apply' on the changes instead of using 'Okay' to preview it first.

Thanks, all!

Edited by Spectacle, 08 February 2010 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users