I am currently using Windows 7 (32bit) OS. 2 Gig Mem. Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz. NVIDA GForce GTX260. I have two different hdrives 500g and 120g (exact spec model escapes my memory).
My computer is about 2.5 years old.
Currently, I have 6 USB slots. Two in the front and four in the back. Only two out of the four in the back are working.
What I mean by detected and not recognizing is this:
1. If I plug in my ipod to a usb port that is not supposedly working, it is indicates (on the ipod) that it is charging. Although iTunes or My Computer won't detect the usb device at all. It's the same for a USB Key. It will light up while plugged into a port that does not work, but the computer doesn't detect anything. No pop-ups at the bottom right corner either.
2. All the USB ports/hubs are detected in the device manager. USB is enabled in my BIOS chipset.
I have done almost anything imaginable to get the other four to be detected. Here is a list:
1. Removed all USB Hubs and USB ports from device manager and then restarted the comp.
2. Reinstall each driver for both the hub and port. Also updated the drivers.
3. Shutdown my comp, unplug the power and wait about 2 mins. Replug the power and then turn the computer back on (restore factory settings).
4. Have changed power settings so that usb ports are no longer turned off to save energy. Have also individually went to each hub to disable the ability to turn off the port to save energy.
Only #3 really resulted in some progress. However, technique #3 is no longer working. The only thing that may happen is, 3/4 in usb ports in the back may function this happens about 1/5 times I use this technique.
Here are some symptoms that may be of use.
1. My computer's power supply has been acting weird. If I pull out the power cable for a minute or two and let the power drain, then replug it in and attempt to hit the power button immediately, my computer won't start up. I would have to at least wait for about a minute or so before I can hit the power button and then my computer boots up. I don't know if this happened before or not. I only started noticing this when I was troubleshooting my USB.
2. I use my USB ports mostly for my logitech gamepad. I usually only have one or two controllers plugged in. Another one is dedicated to my wireless mouse. Occasionally I would have a USB key plugged in there.
3. My motherboard is refurbished. My original died on me and I sent it in. The one sent back, I'm sure, is a refurbished one. It has been in use for about 11-12 months. The USB problems started occurring 9-10 months ago.
I know this is really lengthy and I apologize for the trouble. The last thing I would want is for my last two working USB ports to die out on me. I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you all very much in advance.