Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB detected but not recognizing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 masarume

masarume

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

I am currently using Windows 7 (32bit) OS. 2 Gig Mem. Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz. NVIDA GForce GTX260. I have two different hdrives 500g and 120g (exact spec model escapes my memory).
My computer is about 2.5 years old.

Currently, I have 6 USB slots. Two in the front and four in the back. Only two out of the four in the back are working.
What I mean by detected and not recognizing is this:
1. If I plug in my ipod to a usb port that is not supposedly working, it is indicates (on the ipod) that it is charging. Although iTunes or My Computer won't detect the usb device at all. It's the same for a USB Key. It will light up while plugged into a port that does not work, but the computer doesn't detect anything. No pop-ups at the bottom right corner either.
2. All the USB ports/hubs are detected in the device manager. USB is enabled in my BIOS chipset.

I have done almost anything imaginable to get the other four to be detected. Here is a list:
1. Removed all USB Hubs and USB ports from device manager and then restarted the comp.
2. Reinstall each driver for both the hub and port. Also updated the drivers.
3. Shutdown my comp, unplug the power and wait about 2 mins. Replug the power and then turn the computer back on (restore factory settings).
4. Have changed power settings so that usb ports are no longer turned off to save energy. Have also individually went to each hub to disable the ability to turn off the port to save energy.

Only #3 really resulted in some progress. However, technique #3 is no longer working. The only thing that may happen is, 3/4 in usb ports in the back may function this happens about 1/5 times I use this technique.

Here are some symptoms that may be of use.
1. My computer's power supply has been acting weird. If I pull out the power cable for a minute or two and let the power drain, then replug it in and attempt to hit the power button immediately, my computer won't start up. I would have to at least wait for about a minute or so before I can hit the power button and then my computer boots up. I don't know if this happened before or not. I only started noticing this when I was troubleshooting my USB.
2. I use my USB ports mostly for my logitech gamepad. I usually only have one or two controllers plugged in. Another one is dedicated to my wireless mouse. Occasionally I would have a USB key plugged in there.
3. My motherboard is refurbished. My original died on me and I sent it in. The one sent back, I'm sure, is a refurbished one. It has been in use for about 11-12 months. The USB problems started occurring 9-10 months ago.

I know this is really lengthy and I apologize for the trouble. The last thing I would want is for my last two working USB ports to die out on me. I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you all very much in advance. :thumbsup: :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I would not stress over USB ports/controllers...PCI USB 2.0 cards cost less than $10 and are easily accessible.

Additionally...a PCI USB 2.0 card will further clarify whether your motherboard is the problem, just a tad.

You mention so much that could be the cause of problems...you need to take steps to eliminate suspects one by one, IMO.

Louis

#3 masarume

masarume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

So I'm guessing my problem doesn't have an easy solution like I was hoping for.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'm trying to tell...from your post, it doesn't appear that you have ONE problem, but several.

You mention two of the most critical parts of a system...the PSU and the motherboard. There is no "easy" way to correct an undiagnosed problem with either one, let alone possibly with both...other than by substitution of parts.

I don't think you have the capability for doing such.

Which is why I suggest taking steps to eliminate the obvious ill...which is the title of your thread.

Few things are easier than installing a PCI card for USB support, unless it's a laptop.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#5 masarume

masarume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

Doesn't really help me much but I appreciate the effort, thank you.

I'll probably just roll with the two usb ports that are working right now.
If it is my PSU or motherboard then I guess nothing I do w/o spending more to upgrade my comp will fix it. I was just hoping it was something simple.
I still don't get why my phones/ipods charge up when plugged in but just aren't detected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users