Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote networking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Biggre

Biggre

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm trying to set my home network up so that my buddies can connect to it so we can game over it. I know how to connect remotely to other networks but I have no idea what I'm doing here. Any help or guides would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Are you talking about a LAN party? Meaning you'll all be in the same house. Or you are looking to host a server for you all to play on from different houses?

What game(s)?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Biggre

Biggre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

Host server from different houses. And we'll be playing Age of Empires 2, we've been having some issues configuring the right ports to play online and we'll probably use this same method to try and play other games as well.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

You have the right idea. You need to set up port forwarding for each game you play on your router if using one. Depending on the firewall you use you may need to enter each of the remote computers for access as well. The ports may very possibly be different for each game so check in on the forums or FAQs for the game to find out the appropriate port numbers.

Edited by Baltboy, 01 February 2010 - 08:31 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

According to Microsoft, The ports that need to be opened are as follows:

Posted Image

Depending on what router you have, you will find something regarding ports where you can open these. You will also need to know your IP address so your friends can find you. An easy way to find this is to go to www.whatismyip.com and look at the address that shows in the top of the web page.

Give that address to your friends after opening your ports in your router and you should all be able to connect.

If you need help finding the page in your router to configure these, let us know what make and model router your have and we should be able to help you.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 01 February 2010 - 08:43 AM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

The 2 big mistakes are 1) Not opening TCP and UDP for the given ports 2) Forwarding the ports to the wrong IP address.

#1 fix - In the router select Both if its there if not make multiple entries for each port for TCP and UDP.

# 2 fix - Whomever is going to run the server, needs to type ipconfig and hit Enter at a command prompt of the PC running the server. The IP address it shows is the one to forward the ports to.

Then goto DynamicDNS, sign up for a free account and get a free URL that you'll enter into the game instead of an IP address. If different people run a server then each person will need to get an account/URL. You'll want to read a little on that site about the service it provides.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Biggre

Biggre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can give this a try in the next few days

#8 Biggre

Biggre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

According to Microsoft, The ports that need to be opened are as follows:

Posted Image

Depending on what router you have, you will find something regarding ports where you can open these. You will also need to know your IP address so your friends can find you. An easy way to find this is to go to www.whatismyip.com and look at the address that shows in the top of the web page.

Give that address to your friends after opening your ports in your router and you should all be able to connect.

If you need help finding the page in your router to configure these, let us know what make and model router your have and we should be able to help you.

Hope this helps,

I got all the forwarding in and I've had 3 of my friends try and connect to me with no success. Is there anything else that might be stopping us from connecting?
I've been able to connect to other games online, but one of them can't even do that, possible causes?
Posted Image

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

What are they putting in their clients to connect to you?

Looks like you have the correct ports. 192.168.1.101 is the IP of the PC running the server?

#10 Biggre

Biggre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

No, I gave them the IP I got from whatismyip.com
And yes 192.168.1.101 is the IP for my computer on my router

#11 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Your Friends will also have to open the same ports as you have to be able to connect.

As you can see from the Diagram, the Client and the Host must all have these ports open to be able to connect.

Have each one of your friends open these ports in their respective routers just as you have and once again retry.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

What versions of windows?

Any firewalls involved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users