Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing and spazzing Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dstrt

dstrt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Help!

So, recently my Vista laptop has been giving me trouble and spazzing out every other minute.

Dumbly I thought that this was occurring because I had not yet downloaded the newest Windows update. Booting my computer after the Service Pack 2 was even more painful. Now I uninstalled all of that nonsense off the machine, but it's still freezing and making a weird clicking noise (processor?)!

I did a Disk Cleanup, scanned for viruses (none), threw out unnecessary programs, and it's still freezing up. This usually happens when I'm trying to do, say, two things at once -- like I'm using a web browser and I would like to open up winamp and listen to music. Every now and then at performing two activities at once, the laptop just stops for around 2-3 minutes. Why is this? Is it the Vista? Or something wrong with the hardware?

I hope it's not the hardware, the computer is basically 6 months old. But this ticking noise it makes when it stops is worrisome. Since I can't find any viruses, I have no idea what to do. Help?

Thanks so much for your insight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Clicking noise may be coming from laptop's hard drive, which would mean, it's on its last legs.
Back up your data right away.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users