Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen keeps popping up, format and reinstall did not fix problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrHiggy

BrHiggy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

My wife has a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 Laptop. After we got married in 2008, I noticed SP2 was installed and there was an update ready. She said SP3 never installed and I couldn't get it to install. Even with Registry checks, removing anti-virus, and other suggestions from the MS site, I still couldn't get it to install. I told her we would do a format and reinstall "someday." A month ago, the blue screen of death started coming on regularly and the computer would restart quickly after flashing the blue screen. I did a System Restore from a previous point, but a few days later, it started happening again. I decided to take this opportunity to do a format and reinstall, so I backed everything up. Her computer came with a recovery disk that only gives you the option to do a format and reinstall, not a recovery like I've done on other computers. So the format was really our only option. I did this and installed all the Service Packs (including 3). I put a new battery in (that we hadn't used before) because the old one didn't last very long and I got a blue screen and restart the next time I turned on the computer. AFter that one time, it worked fine the rest of the day. The next day I plugged in the external hard drive (Simpletech 500gb) to move her info back over. A few minutes later, blue screen and system crash. On restart, same thing. Next restart, just a black screen. I decided no big loss if I reinstall again, so I reinstalled again. Now I just get the blue screen during setup. Right after I type in the computer name and click "Next" I can hear the hard drive spinning and then the blue screen and system restarts. The blue screen is not up long enough to read, so I can't give you an error message.

I can only assume this a hardware problem, but I don't know what or how to fix it. We have her sister's old computer which is the same computer, bought at the same time, but stopped working years ago. So with explicit instructions, I might be able to retrieve hardware from that. Except the hard disk; her sister kept that and is using it as a small external drive. Of course, the computer is so old, I will not be dumping any money into it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

You could start by running a diagnostic test of the RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 BrHiggy

BrHiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I did a memory test with my Fedora 11 install disk and it said everything was okay. The screenshots on the page linked to are the same as my fedora disk. Is this good, or should I use the link given?

Edited by BrHiggy, 31 January 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

You could try the Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users