Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP prefetch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jime59

jime59

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I completed a repair install of Windows XP 32 and now I noticed I have no prefetch folder.
I checked the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters and there is no PrefetchEnable option.
I've done a repair install before and didn't run into this problem so what went wrong and how can I fix it ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jim E.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

I guess that I'd start by wondering what disk you used to accomplish this "repair" that removed a key folder.

...and...why the repair effort? Maybe your folder disappeared before the "repair" occurred.

Louis

#3 jime59

jime59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

I used the original disk I BOUGHT when I built my system early last year.

My computer recently started acting sluggish and I thought at first maybe a virus(I have sons who occasionally use my pc)had gotten on it so I ran all of the usual anti-virus programs to check but never found anything. After days of headaches I just did the repair option,which worked great because my pc is running alot better now.

I change the "enable prefetch" from 3 to 2 so it only fetches boot files and doesn't get bogged-down with a bunch of junk and that's when I noticed it was gone. So I know it was there prior to running the repair.

Edited by jime59, 31 January 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Worth reading, http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-Pre...ing-t51433.html.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users