Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP freezing after loading.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 killuminati35

killuminati35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

My friends laptop is not loading correctly. He has Windows XP Home Edition. The computer will load fine, but anytime I try to run something, it freezes up. I have tried to run Malware Bytes, but it freezes. The same goes for Spy-Bot and AVG.

Also, it won't load into safe mode at all. I get the following BSOD error: 0x0000007B, (0xF79C251c,0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I've ran chkdsk, but it didn't seem to do anything either.

I'm not sure what to do from there, since the computer just locks up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noddy2009

noddy2009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Try taking the ram modules out and reseating them. or different ram.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 killuminati35

killuminati35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

I did that, but when I came back to the computer it was stuck on the Windows screen that says "Preparing to Stand by..."

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

You might want to try a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 killuminati35

killuminati35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

You might want to try a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

I'll probably give that a try. Can anyone tell me what's causing this problem -- or at least your best guess. Is this a spyware/virus problem or is Windows malfunctioning....

:edit:

Just so I'm clear: Will the XP repair cause me to lose his data? I know that a clean reformatting will...

Edited by killuminati35, 31 January 2010 - 10:23 PM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

A repair install will not lose your data.

The problem is almost certainly caused by the virus.

If you are worried you can try to backup your data using this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

One other thing you might try...remove the hard drive from the laptop and attach it as a secondary drive to another system...then run a Malwarebytes scan on it from that system, followed by a chkdsk /r.

Then return it to the laptop and try it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users