Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hardware driver file not recognized by Win XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brucerb

Brucerb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Can anyone suggest a reason why my computer's O.S. (Dell laptop, WinXP Profess., SP3) would not recognize a device driver file when the computer recognizes the hardware device correctly, then asks for the driver file (which is the correct file for the hardware) but can't seem to either locate it on the computer or "accept" it? I have posted this question in the "Hardware" forum, but got no replies. Then I started to think that it might not be a hardware problem since the hardware (a USB wireless adapter for WiFi) can be installed in my other computer but maybe some issue with my laptop's operating system. I have not had this type of issue with any other added hardware in the past.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

Sure.

The driver is installed and damaged...the device is not functional...those would be my first two guesses. Installing an incorrect driver could be a 3d option.

If the device is dead...no cure for that.

If the driver is damaged...remove all drivers other than those which are working properly for other functions...then try to install the device, using the correct driver package.

Removing unused device drivers from Windows XP machines - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...tml?tag=nl.e101

Louis

#3 Brucerb

Brucerb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

I have removed the driver file entirely (as best as I can tell), and I don't dee it anywhere on the computer. I have tested both the device and the driver file on a different computer, and everything installs properly and works well. I just can't get it to work on my laptop. I have asked tech support at EnGenius to let me know exactly where the driver file(s) should be and the name of the file so maybe I can look for it separately. Still waiting. Is there some registry entry that might be either blocking the correct installation or might there be something in XP that is corrupt and can only be fixed by reinstalling Windows. I have so little on my laptop that reinstallation would not be a very lengthy job, but I'd rather avoid it if possible since I don't even know if it would solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users