Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

aborted reinstallation of Xp Profeessional

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 complooser

complooser

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi to anyone that can help

I attempted to repair my Windows XP and when I discovered that it was re-installing windows and not repairing I shut off the computer (stupidly). When I turned on my computer the Dell Logo appeared, then Windows XP Logo appeared then the screen turned blue and the words "setup is being restarded..." appeared, the disk made noise but then the screen went blue with the mouse cursor in the middle (which you can move) and it freezes. When I turn off the computer and restart it the same thing happens....As my name notes I am a computer loser when it comes to diagnosing computer problems and fixing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Complooser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

System model? Dell what?

Were you using Dell disks to attempt this "repair"? Did Dell state that such an option existed with those disks?

Did you read the Dell instructions for using disks provided by them?

Louis

#3 complooser

complooser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks For the reply Louis

Dell Optiplex GX270. Gren reinstallation CS XP Pro with SP2. No instructions, lucky to have found the disk

Complooser

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Well...it seems that green disk does not behave in the same manner as a MS XP CD, which would provide a repair option via the Recovery Console, as well as the opportunity to do a repair install of O/S without any loss of data files.

I can't advise you on how to use it, I've never owned a Dell.

It seems that it is what is says it is...a disk that reinstalls XP...by doing a clean install.

Louis

#5 complooser

complooser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

I am in the recovery console now attempting to delete the current boot.ini and getting windows to recompile

will update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users