Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop screen suddenly goes black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

My son has a laptop which from time to time, his screen suddenly goes black. The power remains on, but he has to restart to get it back to normal. Is there anything he can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

My son has a laptop which from time to time, his screen suddenly goes black. The power remains on, but he has to restart to get it back to normal. Is there anything he can try?

does he use it alot?
does he download alot?
does he have good antivirus/firewall/anti malware programs?

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

He uses it every night. He doesnt download and he has ZoneAlarm firewall and Avast.

He says it doesnt have to be online when it goes black. It suddenly goes black and then restarts itself!!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:40 AM

Welcome to the BC Forums!
Can you tell us what the brand name and model number of this laptop is please.
What operating system is running on it?
An idea what might have happened to cause this problem.....(e.g) was the unit droped recently?

A quick thought is...is the unit possibly over heating.....is there any dust showing in any air vents, specially on the bottom of the unit?
Does the unit feel abnormally warn or hot just before this happens?

The unit may need some cleaning (de-dusting) Is there a fan blowing air from the bottom of the unit? Perhaps your CPU fan has stopped spining and fails to keep the CPU from over heating or it has restricted air flow.

Write back, we here at Bleepingcomputer forums want to know and are willing to help! :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:14 AM

The laptop is an Acer Aspire model no ICW50 it runs on Vista and has AMD processor. The last known thing he did was to update Avast antivirus, but he hasnt dropped the laptop.

I dont know if it feels hot, but he doesnt use a plug-in fan underneath, but I have one which I could try on his laptop if you think it may help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users