Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware issues after virus infection

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 txretro

txretro

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hello! I was referred by THCBYTES to ask for assistance in this forum for help with a possible hardware issue. My initial thread that he was helping me can be found here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic271024-90.html

I have a spare PC that I can access the internet with, and download and burn apps if need be. I'm guessing the virus was "Cryptor", I misspelled it in my initial post. The infected PC is a custom build that's almost three years old. The components are as follows -

Abit IB9 motherboard
EVGA GeForce 7300 GS video card
Patriot DDR2 1GB PC6400 RAM, two each
Intel Core2Duo E4300 1.8Ghz @ 800 FSB.
Western Digital 320 GB drive, which may or may not still be infected. (I have purchased a second identical drive to use in the recovery process)
Sony DVD burner
TDK CD burner.

When we started the process, I was getting one long POST beep so I pulled a RAM module. The PC then would attempt to boot. I'm sure the root of my issues are more than just RAM, but I do believe one module is bad. I will do nothing to the infected PC until I hear from someone.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

Take a look, Abit Beep Codes.

Louis

#3 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Take a look, Abit Beep Codes.

Louis

I was looking for that, thanx! I pulled one module and the beep went away. I put the suspected bad module back in as the only module and it came back. Patriot has a lifetime guarantee, I'm guessing it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer instead of the store where I purchased it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Depends on the terms of sale.

I once bought a bad module from Crucial, I sent it back, following their instructions for doing a Return Merchandise Agreement/Authorization.

Terms of sale dictate.

Louis

#5 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Besides the RAM issue, what could be causing my hardware problems?

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Which ubuntu did you load? I use the live 9.04 and 9.10 cd's to rule out hardware all the time.
The current one is 9.10 and it runs a drive test on boot.

From your description, it does not look like a normal load of the live cd.

If it does not load correctly, you are unlikely to be able to post dmesg file contents here...

So.
On the main screen (after you choose "english") there are menu choices to run memtest and to check the cd for errors.

Try those to confirm you are starting out with a cd with no errors from the burn and memory that is good.

If you do get the live cd to load correctly, the menu at the top of the screen should have system- administration- log viewer. (or something like that, I am going from memory) it will open up to the messages file. Go to the bottom. ongoing errors will be printed there as they happen.

Errors while booting/loading will be at the top of the same file but interpreting those can be difficult.

#7 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Which ubuntu did you load? I use the live 9.04 and 9.10 cd's to rule out hardware all the time.
The current one is 9.10 and it runs a drive test on boot.

From your description, it does not look like a normal load of the live cd.

If it does not load correctly, you are unlikely to be able to post dmesg file contents here...

So.
On the main screen (after you choose "english") there are menu choices to run memtest and to check the cd for errors.

Try those to confirm you are starting out with a cd with no errors from the burn and memory that is good.

If you do get the live cd to load correctly, the menu at the top of the screen should have system- administration- log viewer. (or something like that, I am going from memory) it will open up to the messages file. Go to the bottom. ongoing errors will be printed there as they happen.

Errors while booting/loading will be at the top of the same file but interpreting those can be difficult.

I downloaded 9.10 from here - http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download, per thcbytes' instrictions. Burned at 1x and verified. I'll reboot and run the check disc utility and report back

Edited by txretro, 01 February 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Well...just about any component can create hardware situations...so that kind of question can't be answered.

When a system generates beep codes...those are specifically designed to point the way. To ignore such...is not the way.

A bad CMOS battery, a bad PSU, a bad motherboard, a bad CPU....these things can all create hardware situations.

But your board beep codes say that it's a RAM issue...which means it either RAM or motherboard, IMO. That's why there is a number of diagnostic tests for RAM...to eliminate or confirm suspicions about such.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Louis

#9 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, Louis.

When this all started, I'm sure I bumped a module pulling the hard drive out, hence the beep. I ran a few RAM diagnostics on Hiren's 10.1, but they came back negative. With the virus I had, is it possible the BIOS was corrupted? I can d/l Memtest 86+ and give it a shot. I'm up for anything - I just want my PC back.

BTW - I noticed you have Killeen listed as your home. I've driven past there several times when I lived in Ft Worth on my way to Austin. Man, I miss Texas!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

<<With the virus I had, is it possible the BIOS was corrupted?>>

I can't answer that...I'm neither an IT professional nor a malware authority of any sort.

I've not ever seen one post about a corrupted BIOS, but I've seen several where weak/dying CMOS batteries produce a variety of unusual errors.

Since you seem to think that you do not have a RAM problem...I don't know what to tell you. Let's see what others think.

Louis

#11 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

I don't doubt I have a RAM issue. I'll plug the suspected bad module back in and run some tests. The person I was working with in the virus issue referred me here since the PC is still acting strange. I'm open to any and all suggestions, don't get me wrong. I appreciate all help I can get to get my pc up and running again.

Edited by txretro, 01 February 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#12 txretro

txretro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

With both RAM modules installed, I get a long beep. How do I run a memory test when the pc won't boot? I don't want you to think I'm trying to argue, I'm just telling you what I have done so far. When I ran memory tests earlier, they all showed no problems. Now, with the long tone it's obvious. What do I do from here?

Edited by txretro, 01 February 2010 - 07:15 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

If you have two memory modules...you need to test each one, in each different RAM slot...and you need to test them together in one configuration and then switch the modules/slots and test them again.

RAM problems can be one module, can be both together...can be the motherboard slots...can be the motherboard as it attempts to use the RAM.

We are trying to pin the tail on the donkey...rather than just throwing up our hands and saying that we have an unknown type of RAM problem. The knowledge gained by doing the diagnostic testing...will dictate further procedures.

That's how I approach it.

You might take a look at the following, since it discusses basic methodology for troubleshooting RAM situations: Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86. This is not intended to be a guide for what you should do, it's just familiarity with the concepts behind testing.

Louis

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

How clean is the heatsink and fan for your CPU, Video Card, and chipset.

Does the beep stop, or does it continue?

#15 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

memtest is on the ubuntu cd and accessed from the main menu. You don't need to download it again. It runs from the same menu where you choose to load the live cd (install without making changes to your computer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users