Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello - big issues in Steeler Country

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uss656

uss656

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

As many, I am here because I have issues with my PC that go beyond normal anti-virus apps ability to solve.

MY PC is a Dell XPS 400/9150 and is about 4 years old. I use it all the time to mainly participate in a few forums dedicated to Currency and coin collecting. My wife and kids use it for shopping and young kids games. Up until recently the only thing running on the PC to protect it was the free app Comcast provides. With all of the things we do on the PC over time things have become a little slow and some apps unstable. Outlook takes for ever to open and my software for Audigy 2 ZS does not run most parts and I am down to 2 speakers even though I have 5.1 selected. :thumbsup: All of that I could live with as long as the PC worked. Well last Monday things started to come unraveled. I loaded Spy-bots and it found a ton of add ware that it removed. Our IT manager recommended Ad-Awear SE so I loaded and ran that too although it didn't seem to find anything. I have seen Malewarebytes all over the net when searching so I loaded and ran that too. It seemed to find a number of things and remove them too. Next I loaded Norton 2010 fresh from a store bought package and that has not helped much. :flowers: I have not been able to run a full scan without the PC hanging-up... It does tell me that I have Backdoor.tidserv.I!inf but it will not remove it. :trumpet: Unfortunately I did not get a recovery disk with this dell and I am not sure how I can recover - so here I am... I work in technology and use to work for a company that provided computer support back in the days of Dos, Win95 and early 98. I have long since forgotten most of it as I do little when it come to OS level stuff.

I am into collecting currency/coins and really enjoy Photography, No Limit Hold-em, Darts, good books, good wine.

I really need help so that I can get back to my hobbies and wife and kids more importantly! While I am sure I don't need it I feel like I would be better off buying a new PC. Really cannot afford it at the moment so I hope I can get the help I need here instead.

Thank you and look forward to learning more about protecting my PC!!!

Best Regards ~ Darryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hello Darryl and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.

Good luck with your log and please be patient waiting for a response
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 uss656

uss656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thank you garmanma! I will be very patient, I am stuck and not sure what to do to get out of the mud! I am very familiar with forums and how to interact within them. I am one of the guys helping others on one of the forums I am most active on.

I will have to check out the other areas of the site that can help with some of my other issues (if I can get the PC virus free.) I would love to learn how to set this up to have the best performance while also maximizing my security! I know Norton touts many features that should help. I have only just installed it a day ago and right now I am more concerned about virus removal, so the rest will have to wait until things are stable.

Thanks again for stopping by and saying Hi!

Best Regards ~ Darryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users