Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet security 2010 infected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bcwoh

bcwoh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hi,
My laptop running XP home edition is infected IS 2010.
Initially, I could not reboot.
I was able to make bootable CD's of Dr. Web live and F-secure rescue CD to remove some of the infected files.

I was able to bootup on the HD but cannot access Internet and the bogus desktop background is still there.

Also cannot access task manager or the thumbdrive.

Please help.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

I just removed this from my daughter's laptop on Saturday. I found that if you have clicked on any of the buttons (Cancel, Remind me Later even the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window) this somehow drives the hooks deeper into your OS. If you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware do that and run it to remove what it finds. You can get it from www.malwarebytes.org. I will tell you though that if it doesn't succeed, as was the case with my daughter, you mayhave to resort to a repair install of your OS. Basically the repair install will take your OS back to the level of your original install disc but you won't lose any of your files (documents, photos, etc.) You may have to also reinstall some programs.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 bcwoh

bcwoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

I just removed this from my daughter's laptop on Saturday. I found that if you have clicked on any of the buttons (Cancel, Remind me Later even the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window) this somehow drives the hooks deeper into your OS. If you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware do that and run it to remove what it finds. You can get it from www.malwarebytes.org. I will tell you though that if it doesn't succeed, as was the case with my daughter, you mayhave to resort to a repair install of your OS. Basically the repair install will take your OS back to the level of your original install disc but you won't lose any of your files (documents, photos, etc.) You may have to also reinstall some programs.

I will need a bootable CD of Malwarebytes because the computer will not read my USB drive and I have no internet on that computer.
How do you do a repair install of the OS?

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

A repair install is doen as if you are doing a fresh install of Windows. When you boot from the CD go through the steps as if you are re-installing and you will get to a point where it will ask if you want to repair the installation at this point you press R I believe it is and then it goes through the repair install. Not sure if you can get a bootable image of mbam. Others on this board may know better. You should be able to download it from a different computer and then burn the setup file to a CD and run it from there. Of course without internet access on the infected PC you won't be able to update the definitions.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 bcwoh

bcwoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yes, a similar case is when I tried installing spyware doctor but it required internet access update the definitions before it can install.

I am still waiting for an expert to respond. It's appears to be a long wait these days.

I may do a repair installation later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users