Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gamepad not working to play Mario Forever ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Location:Non-exotic city of Leicester from the Land of Hope & Glory
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

I've just had Mario Forever v4.4 installed and bought a new USB Gamepad but can't get the gamepad to use to play the game.

USB's driver's installed correctly and can see it in "Game Controller" in Control Panel. Besides, I can use the gamepad to move up and down in the Mario game menu, so the gamepad itself works perfectly well. Besides, Mario game does say that it supports Joystick and hence I'd imagine, it supports the Gamepad, as well.

I wonder why then I can't use this to play the game and having to use arrow keys on the keyboard instead.

I'm using Windows XP Professional. Can someone please help?
Nope, I'm NOT God, but I'm British (which is the next best thing ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Did you get the latest drivers for your Gamepad, or have you just installed from a CD
included with the pad - not necessarily up to date.

That program is supposed to have support for gamepads and it apparently works
OK with the Logitech Rumblepad, so not sure why it doesn't with yours.

Should be able to set controls in Options / joystick - it should pick up correctly.

#3 James Bond

James Bond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Gamepad didn't come with any driver. However, driver's installed OK when connected to the laptop (plug & play within Windows XP installed driver and confirmed that the device is ready to be used). In Game Controller applet in Control Panel, I can see X & Y axis and all buttons being activated when I press it on the gamepad, so the laptop's installed driver correctly. However, if the Mario Forever says that it supports Joystick then I can't understand why it's only reaching to arrow buttons (movement) and not the numbers (jump, fire, etc.)

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Are there any errors in device manager by the game pad like a question mark or x? You can get there with start, run, devmgmt.msc

Even if there is not sometimes if you remove the upper filters in the HID category in the registry it fixes issues where hardware isn't recognized properly. Worked for my dvd burner when that wasn't working correctly when the driver was installed fine.

Here's a knowledge base about how to do it. Remember to back up the registry before making changes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

#5 James Bond

James Bond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

Hurray !!! I can get the gamepad to work now. Basically, when you select Control, you've to press left or right arrow to change to Joypad from Keyboard.

However, the game doesn't offer choice to configure the buttons of joypad, as to which button should do what.

Any idea? or do I need special program to configure buttons?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

James Bond,
When replying to a post, don't use the QUOTE button under the post, unless there is something specific in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
It keeps from cluttering up the board with unnecessary quotes. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

I can only suggest what has worked for me sometimes, as to buttons,
but I don't have Mario, so cannot check.

Within some games, when you go to Keyboard assignments,
moving the selection to the particular command you want, e.g. jump, fire, etc.
and then pressing the button on the gamepad at that point, will
change the selection from keyboard to gamepad button number (whatever),
or you can try that in Joystick assignments.

I'm surprised there were no drivers with the gamepad.
I suggest you go to the manufacturer's site and see what drivers, (or software),
are available for your particular model. There may even be game profiles there.

This is the free version, yes? Is it the one that downloads the annoying
Toolbar, which hijacks your browser and is difficult to uninstall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users