Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp antivirus pro 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luck_Rogers

Luck_Rogers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

Seem to have same version of this intensely well embedded piece of evil "XP antivirus Pro". Have tried scans (in safe mode logged in as administrator) with spybot, avast, adaware, and malwarebytes; all of these seemed to find and successfully remove some components of xp antivirus pro, but when I reboot into normal mode the malware is still active. It prevents me from running any of these scans without being in safe mode, although I have been able to run windows-kb890830-v3.3, which found nothing. Even SpywareDoctor finds nothing. And yet this thing keeps popping up "my" windows security and running its false scans.

I can successfully manually end "av.exe" with task manager, but as soon as I try and run ANYTHING it starts itself up again.

I have searched through the registry the classic Xp antivirus pro registry keys are present,
nor does a search for the classic xpantiviruspro.dll files turn up anything.

This seems to be a brand new version of this infuriating malware.

please Help,

D

p.s. I seem to have crippled it a little - the AV.EXE no longer runs automatically at fresh boot. I seem to get no abnormal behavior UNTIL I try to run firefox or any of my antivirus/antispyware/antimalware programs... then it does its false scans again...

Edited by Luck_Rogers, 31 January 2010 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

I think these great folks would like to have you post in the malware forum. If you are brave, there is a tab for spyware removal at the top of this forum webpage.
In prep for a possible reinstall, I would find your Dell reinstall cd, or research how to reinstall the OS from the special partition on the HD. (dont know which you have)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users