Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prep for SP2 Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sp2update

sp2update

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi

I am attempting to update on older computer to XP SP2, and thought it would be a good idea to post in the HJT log as this computer had malware problems previously. I attempted run DDS.scr, and a notepad pad window pops up and tells me it will not run in DOS mode followed by pages of code.

Any suggestions on how to get dds to run? Other suggestions regarding SP2 upgrade would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

You can go directly to SP3, if you have SP1 or SP1a. SP3 already has all of SP2, plus additional updates. SP3 can be downloaded from MS and saved to a cd.
Maybe you could try a SFC /SCANNOW system file checker, have your XP cd ready, it may ask for it. Google this, its not a fix all, but certainly worth a try. You do need acces to Start/Run... to do this however.

Edited by rosiesdad, 31 January 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

SP3 is the recommended suggested level for an XP system...any previous level reflects known vulnerabilities which have been addressed by SP3.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

as this computer had malware problems previously

Before applying any service pack, make sure your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sp2update

sp2update
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys

compaq 2500
pentium 4, 2.68GHz

Any advise on getting DDS to run so I can post log in HJT forum to make sure it's clean?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

Your best option is to start new topic there and state the problem with DDS.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users