Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick DSL questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

My daughter's moving. She called to turn on the gas and they're offering a package where she can get Direct TV and DSL
The catch is, it cost $150.00 for the modem or buy your own
I seem to remember needing a splitter and a line filter [This is a while back] when I hooked up a DSL line
Best Buy has an Actiontec modem for $70.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec+-+Mo...;st=dsl%20modem

Modular design with an expansion port lets you add a wireless expansion module, 4-port Ethernet switch, HomePlug A/V adapter or VoIP adapter (additional components not included)

I do not see where it comes with the splitter and filter. Are they still required?

Edited by garmanma, 31 January 2010 - 12:11 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Take a look, Mark, at DSL Filters.

I've never had DSL but I have friends who have such...they all have filters installed.

Louis

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

I have a 2WIRE modem/router combo from AT&T that I use for my DSL ($100). I do not have a regular phone line, only DSL (can't make a call if I plug a phone up to it). I do not use DSL filters (probably because I don't have phone service in the same line, which is the reason you would have to have the filters).

As for whether or not to buy the modem from BestBuy, I'm not sure. It depends on whether or not you will need the DSL filters. $150 seems like a rip-off, if you ask me. But there's no guarantee that the BestBuy modem will work with the service being sent to it (could be incompatible).

Check the other options for internet service. Charter and AT&T would be the first to check. If that comes up empty, either swallow the $150 to know it will work, or risk paying the $70 for something you hope will be compatible.

Usually, a bundled package from the landlord is bunk anyway (that's my experience). :thumbsup: I'd go with a trusted third-party company (Charter, AT&T, etc.).

Edited by keyboardNinja, 31 January 2010 - 08:41 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

Whether this is important to her or not, I don't know, but there is another catch. She will have to agree to a 2 year commitment to DirecTV. There will be an up front fee for the set top box satellite receiver for the TV( some times that is waived) and a monthly lease fee for the box.

They offer a protection plan for the satellite set top box for a small monthly fee. If she does not get the protection plan and the box needs to be replaced(happens often enough) her commitment will be extended for another 2 years.

Even if she does get the protection plan, she will very likely get committed to extending 2 more years anyway and have to call the CSR's several times and remind them that she has the protection plan and they need to take that added commitment off.

It will cost extra each month if she wants HD. If she decides to change her package sufficiently enough, again an extended 2 year commitment will be added, unless they've changed that policy recently.

If she decides to cancel before her 2 year commitment is up, she will have to pay the remainder of the 2 year commitment. They will try to do a direct withdrawal from her account. Sometimes they succeed.

DirecTV has pretty good service and picture quality is excellent, but it seems to me there aren't enough worth while channels to watch( 6-12) to justify the monthly cost.

Don't know if the same applies to the modem & associated service, that apply to the set top box & service, or not.

I realize this is about DSL modems and splitters/filters but I thought she might want to take these things into consideration before she agrees to DSL linked with DirecTV.

Of course she may already know or have looked into this, in which case, please ignore this post.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I realize this is about DSL modems and splitters/filters but I thought she might want to take these things into consideration before she agrees to DSL linked with DirecTV.

First, it was the electric company not the gas [makes more sense], Plus AT+T DSL, and Direct TV
They haven't had to sign any type of contract
I had to sign a paper given them permission to install it, because I'm the executor
I'm going to try and be at the house when they come back

Thanks for the link Louis. I did more reading and yeah I need one
Thank you KeyboardNinja. I found a few sites offering cheaper alternatives
It's just a question of if they will wait a week for shipping
My daughter is in the final 3 weeks of her pregnancy and she can be a bear :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users