Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exe corrupt problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NewAnders

NewAnders

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

I have a windows xp professional. I dont know if that is good enough info please tell me.
The problem i have is that when i try to install programs like ccleaner or fcleaner which are both exe they install and then refuse to open. Also i noticed the other exe programs i have like microsoft outlook express has become faulty. It takes 5minutes to start up when usually it use to take a few seconds. I have installed other files like malwarebytes anti malware and it works perfect. What do u guys think is the problem with my pc? Could it be a virut virus? Please help and advise me. Please

The reason why i posted here and not in windows xp is because a little while ago the mother board blew on the pc and the technician who repaired it claimed to have updated the system to windows vista

Edited by garmanma, 31 January 2010 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

If you are not finding malware, have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before the problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 NewAnders

NewAnders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thank u for the reply. :thumbsup: i tried what u said. I just want to know how do i restore my computer from an exact date?I tried the new create restore point but it seems to still be the same and not from the date i wanted. Can u please help? Also my exe files still are not functioning properly. Outlook express takes 10minutes to launch and ccleaner keeps uninstalling by itself. Please help me

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

The first link I provided shows you how to restore to a specific date. If it doesn't work for a particular, then that means there was no checkpoint created by you or the system on that date or that the restore point was corrupted by malware or something else.

If you are unable to run any .exe applications, the first thing to try is to check your file association for .exe files.
  • Go to Control Panel and select Folder Options.
  • Select the File Type tab and click the New button.
  • In File Extension, type: EXE
    Posted Image
  • Click the Advanced button, then from the list select "Application."
    Posted Image
  • Click OK.
  • The EXE extension is automatically selected.
  • Click Restore and close the dialog box.
For another simple fix, see Method 1 in Changing File Associations in XP.

If that does not work, try downloading xp_fileassoc.zip by Doug Knox.
  • Extract (unzip) it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on xp_fileassoc.bat and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted.
  • Reboot and check if you can run an .exe program.
Or use Easy File Associations (fileassoc.txt) to re-associate individual file associations to Windows XP defaults. There is a link below that to download a .bat file (xp_fileassoc.zip) which will restore all of the "default" associations in XP.

Other Options:

Edited by quietman7, 02 February 2010 - 11:19 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users