Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2wire router Windows 7 will not enable mac filtering

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wisdomhijacked

wisdomhijacked

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

I current have Windows 7 and my wireless router is provided with bellsouth/att. However, my Westel router was replaced with 2WIRE. it does not accurately show my mac addresses. my Ethernet and wireless connections are all listed as one device and once I enable mace filtering, I am booted off the internet and unable to log on. Also, I received an email that i tried to delete but it opened anyway and my browser shut down immediately, could this have been sent to gain access through my computer through a surveillance program like spectorsoft pro.

Malwarbytes continues to scan my computer but i keep getting Broken-OpenCommand and I got HijackDisplayProperties. what is this. I have a bran new dell computer and Mcafee Internet Security Suites. Please advise as to what I should do. Thanks, I am new to all of this, do I need to have the someone come in a scan, fix, repair. Or should I reset to factory delivery.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Well, mac filtering is a painful way of achieving a useless affect. I tried to use it to allow only the computers I know onto the internet (the purpose), but every time, it just booted them all off the network. From what I've read, it's pretty useless. Doing things like mac filtering, not broadcasting SSID, etc...only serve to make it more difficult for you to connect to the internet. The signal is transmitted in many more ways than that. Somebody with the right tools can still find your network even if you do things like that (mac filter, hide SSID, etc.) The best way to stay secure is to use WPA2 encryption with a long password (random, non-dictionary based ASCII characters, like !*?R#PZPwv^)

Sounds like that email may have infected your PC somehow. You can either hack in out in the "Am I Infected? What do I do?" sub-forum (NOT in this topic!!), or you can do the simple thing and just reset to factory settings (my recommendation).

But yeah, forget about the mac filtering. Just use a strong WPA2 password, and reset to factory settings to get rid of any malware you might have picked up. If you had had it longer, I would say to try and fight it. But with one fresh from the factory, you might as well just reset it to factory settings. :huh:

Good luck! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users