Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Google redirect virus! Can you help?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 riskelpiper

riskelpiper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hey there all,

My web browsers (Firefox 3.5.7 and IE8) have caught some variation of a Google redirect virus. After a Google search, a majority of the links I attempt to click are redirected. I'm using WinXP Home. Some details:

The first redirected sites I was confronted with were the evil ones with tricky popup dialog boxes. Upon a reboot, I got this error message:

C:\Documents and Settings\<<NAME>>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\7249907A.lnk
THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:054a IP:03f1 OP:63 6f 72 Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

This .lnk file was in my Startup folder. I ran MalwareBytes, which found some suspicious stuff (I have the log file if you want it). Then I did a system restore and backed up two days. The file doesn't show up in Startup anymore. However, Google searches still redirected. Now the sites I am redirected to are travel ads or fake search sites.

Before coming here, I've tried Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Virus Free, MalwareBytes, and Spybot, but (surprise!) none of them fixed the problem. Oh please say you are able to ... Thank you in advance!

Edited by riskelpiper, 31 January 2010 - 06:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users