Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insert system disk then press enter key to reboot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jon2

jon2

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:01 AM

I have this message error and i can't get xp load normally...virtually i can't find any solution to this as of my last resort would be formatting using cd but my cdrom doesn't work any more and my motherboard is quite old so it doesn't support booting from usb...i have only 3 choices boot from hard drive which is c, floppy disk and cdrom (not working)...what the problem is i wiped drive c because i have my windows installed in my drive d and the when a restarted the pc i got this error...how can i repartition this again or how can i access the format from xp installation cd using external dvdrom?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:36 AM

Your computer cannot boot from USB, your CD ROM does not work, your hard disk has no bootloader. I don't know what you mean by external DVD ROM. If it is USB based then it will not work. If its some variant of ATA then just connect it inside your computer.

Now, in my opinion you have these two options :
- Attach a working CD ROM or DVD ROM.
- Remove the hard disk from this computer and attach it to another computer with working DVD/CD ROM.

After you have working CD ROM, you need to repair XP install.
You say you have 2 hard disks and installed Windows XP on D: (second drive). So all you have to do is install XP bootloader on C:.
Both hard disks must be connected in the same primary, secondary order when you do this.

- Boot into recovery console using Windows XP CD.
- Type the following pressing Enter after each line :
fdisk /mbr
bootcfg /rebuild
fixmbr
fixboot
exit

#3 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

tnx...for the reply...i went to a computer technician...and the only thing that i thought is just to put it into my new pc to reformat it but he said that old pc might not work properly because of old motherboard that is only compatible to that and he has no pc right now that he might use to install my hard disk...the other option is to buy internal cdrom but this pc for some reason is quite old and built in. It is all in one pc Hitachi Flora so it's so hard to disassemble this and look for parts in the shop...it's own internal cdrom is different...

#4 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

i can't find any option to usb but it says other and has usb legacy something like that

can a usb read as a floppy?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

In your first post you said that your motherboard does not support booting from USB devices. This confused me.

USB legacy support means support for USB peripheral input devices like Keyboard, Mouse, Floppy and CD Rom before going into Windows. So yes, if you attach an external USB CD ROM drive to your computer and enable USB legacy support in BIOS then you should be able to boot off the XP CD.

Go into BIOS, enable USB legacy support, attach USB CD ROM drive. Restart, then go again in BIOS, select USB CDRom as first boot device and reboot. Place XP CD Rom in USB CD drive and you should be able to boot from it.

#6 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

i'm also confused because i already enabled it but can't read usb's....

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

What do you mean USB's? Have you tried hooking up CDROM drive to different USB ports? What is model of your computer or motherboard?

#8 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

oh its hitachi flora dp1...

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

I am sorry to say, but I could not find any useful information on that model. Most of the information is in Japanese. Google translation shows no useful stuff either.
I think all you can do is take it to a repair shop and see if technicians can work something out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users