Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Sticks At 100%

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

Until a few days ago my CPU usage has been stuck at 100% and is slowing my computer and my browser by a tremendous amount and I'm pretty sure it is a virus or spyware problem. I booted into safe mode, CPU usage was at lik 5%, and I ran AVG, MBAM, and Spybot. I had trojans and other things that I cannot remember. I did MBAM twice and eve non the 2nd scan I still had some problems. I restarted back into safemode. Ran MBAM a few more times and still have the problem.

Edited by Pandy, 31 January 2010 - 09:29 AM.
Moved from Windows XP Home and Pro ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MyMightyaxe

MyMightyaxe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:42 AM

check out some programs such as rkill; to at least kill the process when it does spike the cpu... What have you added to your system recently.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally and try rescanning again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

I've done what you said and I still have some thngs coming up on MBAM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

#6 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

Scan 1:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3665
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/31/2010 12:19:17 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-31 (12-19-17).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 162675
Time elapsed: 53 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ccagent.exe (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell (Rogue.ControlCenter) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Scan 2:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3665
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/31/2010 12:40:03 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-31 (12-40-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 161456
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

And if it helps at all. Just recentl I was playing WoW and my computer froze for about 1min. Then the moniter when black and there was a orangeish light on where the green light should be. Then it went back to WoW. It happened again. But screen stayed black. And another time, but it just froze without black screening.

Edit: And if it helps even more I ran an AVG full scan in normal mode and it came up with just tracking cookies so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

Edited by Sploog321, 01 February 2010 - 03:24 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. Right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green ESET Online Scanner button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click on the Start button next to it.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?"".
  • Answer Yes to download and install the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start.
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Scan to start. (please be patient as the scan could take some time to complete)
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • When the scan has finished, a log.txt file will be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
  • Click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

And if it helps at all. Just recentl I was playing WoW and my computer froze for about 1min

Gaming sites are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. They can lead to other sites containing malware which you can inadvertently download without knowledge. Users visiting such sites may encounter innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. For these reasons gaming sites can put you at risk to fraud, phishing and theft of personal data. Even if the gaming site is a clean site, there is always the potential of some type of malware making its way there and then onto your system. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases, recovery is not possible and the only option is to reformat/reinstall the OS.

...Microsoft Security has issued a research report where it notifies that virus creators are continuously assaulting online video game players...a malicious family of software programs are seeking out popular online computer games such as World of Warcraft, Maple Story, Lineage and several others. According to Microsoft’s seventh Security Intelligence Report, cybercrooks use computer worm parasites for stealing confidential personal information from local computer users through online games, unsecured file sharing and removable disk drives...The most dangerous and prevalent malware involve Taterf and Conficker worms which have infected millions of computer systems worldwide...

Malware Makers Target Online Games to Spread Worms

Microsoft warned video game developers...that their PC games are now a target for criminals...Popular massively multiplayer online games, such as World of Warcraft, have created a market for valuable game identities...Using malware or software designed to infiltrate a computer system, hackers steal account information...

Microsoft warns game developers of cyber thieves

...Gaming sites are becoming a growth area for malware and other security threats. The newer threats are sophisticated and are designed to draw in unsuspecting users...

Game Sites Next Big Malware Target?

The design of online game architecture creates an open door for hackers...hackers and malware hoodlums go where the pickings are easy -- where the crowds gather. Thus, Internet security experts warn game players that they face a greater risk of attack playing games online because few protections exist....traditional firewall and antimalware software applications can't see any intrusions. Game players have no defenses...Online gaming sites are a major distribution vehicle for malware....

MMO Security: Are Players Getting Played?

...Moral of the story?
1. Do not allow online games
2. Block ports used by online games
3. Block sites related to these online games
4. Educate your users...

online game + online trade = Trojan Spy

Security researchers...poked around in World of Warcraft and other online games, finding vulnerabilities and exploiting the system using online bots and rootkit-like techniques to evade detection...Some Trojan Web sites have done what they can do to collect gamers' authentication information so they can loot their characters (and) accounts.

Real Flaws in Virtual Worlds: Exploiting Online Games

...a very significant release for Gamers everywhere with the addition of a variety of password stealers directly targeting Online games. The main targets are mostly based in Eastern Asia (Lineage Online, Legend Of Mir, ZT Online just to name a few), but World of Warcraft and Valve’s Steam client are high on the hit-list too...

Taterf – all your drives are belong to me!

Using gaming sites is probably how you came to be infected in the first place.

#8 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

Sorry but I could not use IE for ESET Online Scanner. It woul;d only show have of the window even when I full screened it and there wouldn't be a start button so I resorted to using Firefox to run the scan... IN SAFE MODE... I can't run firefox on normal mode because "of restrictions in affect" in my computer and to contact an admin. Even though I am i nadmin... Sadly, it too came up with nothing. Also, whenever I start up my computer for the first time windows firewall is always off. It ws never liek that till I had this problem.

http://i66.servimg.com/u/f66/11/16/88/81/eset_s10.jpg

edit:
And upon using CA Onlien Threat Scanner (http://www.cainternetsecurity.net/entscanner/) it shows 3 high level problems and 2 medium level ones, being Kazaa nad grokster which I have no idea how to get rid of the traces of it, and it has ??? for WInAntiVirus Pro2006 which is defintly not good.
http://i66.servimg.com/u/f66/11/16/88/81/ca10.jpg

Edited by Sploog321, 02 February 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

Without seeing a log to know what files were detected and where they were (full file path location) I can't confirm what that online scan found. If it saved a log, please post it.

Please perform a scan with Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.
-- Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.
-- This scan will not remove any detected file threats but it will show where they are located so they can be cleaned with other tools.[/i]
  • Vista users: need to right-click either the IE or FF Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar icons and select Run As Administrator) from the context menu.
  • Read the "Advantages - Requirements and Limitations" then press the Posted Image... button.
  • You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click the Run button. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions.
  • When the downloads have finished, you should see 'Database is updated. Ready to scan'. Click on the Posted Image... button.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked. By default, they should be. If not, please check them and click on the Posted Image... button afterwards:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the Scan section. OK any warnings from your protection programs.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • Once the scan is complete (the 'status' will show complete), click on View Scan Report and any infected objects will be shown.
  • Click on Save Report As... and change the Files of type to Text file (.txt)
  • Name the file KAVScan_ddmmyy (day, month, year) before clicking on the Save button and save it to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste (Ctrl+C) the saved scan results from that file in your next reply.
-- Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#10 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Last database update: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 23:10:51
Records in database: 3399180
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan statistics:
Objects scanned: 81858
Threats found: 1
Infected objects found: 1
Suspicious objects found: 0
Scan duration: 01:50:36

File name / Threat / Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\DW1IBT7F\m22[1].exe Infected: Packed.Win32.Krap.ai 1

Selected area has been scanned.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Let me know if there has been any improvement in performance.

#12 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

I've run it thrice in normal mode and twice in saftey mode yet My CPU USage is still at 100% constantly, except in saftey mode of course.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

These are some tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location.

Try using one or two of them to investigate and identify what process is consuming your resources. Although you could use Task Manager, the above tools provide much more information.

#14 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

For all of them the top 3 consumers are avgrsx.exe, avgcrsx.exe, and csrss.exe. Not sure where to go from there... I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Edited by Sploog321, 05 February 2010 - 01:04 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

The first two are AVG related files. csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion) and the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. It is responsible for managing most graphical commands in Windows, console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment. This process is important for stable and secure operation of your system and should not be terminated. Determining whether csrss.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legit csrss.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location, it's usually indicative of malware.

You may have been dealing with multiple issues: malware and non-malware related.

There have been numerous such complaints about those AVG files hogging system resources reported in the AVG forums. See here

Also see this discussion thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users