Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElementDO

ElementDO

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hey guys. I was just wondering how I stream music from my Vista laptop to my windows 7 desktop. I have a wireless network. I can't seem to figure this out. I have searched on here and googled it and no luck. Was wondering if someone could help me some more. Its really driving me nuts. Also, is their a way to use a program from my vista laptop to my 7 desktop? Say I want to use paint.net from my vista laptop to my 7 desktop. Is that even possible? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

If you are talking about playing music on the desktop that is stored on your laptop, yes. Just setup simple file sharing and share the music folder(s). Whatever music player you use won't care if the music is stored locally or on another PC.

As far as the program over a network, are you talking about having a shortcut on one PC to a program installed on another PC? or taking control of the other PC in order to use the program? The first one isn't feasible. The second is.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ElementDO

ElementDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hey cavedweller. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am talking about playing music on my desktop from my laptop. How can I link the windows 7 desktop with the vista laptop?

For your second question I guess I meant taking control of the PC to use the program. Wouldn't this require a remote connection? How could I do that?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Have a read of this. It should shed some light on how to set it up.

If you want to control the PC while in the same home or apartment, which I have no idea why you would, but you can use Remote Desktop. On both PCs if you type that into the search it'll come up and you can read how to do it.

If you are talking about controlling the PC when you aren't at home you'll want to use some sort of program. Look here for some. I like VNC and its cousins Tiny and Real. But something less techie might be what you want.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users