Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Updates or Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stephan08611

stephan08611

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Las t week I uninstalled IE8 because it didn't function well in Yahoo games. IE7 was fine. I did the Microsoft updates for IE7 [opting out of IE8]. When the updates finished IE8 was back and unfunctional. Supposedly you can click on the taskbar and get certain setting back that are not there by default [VIEW, FILE etc.. I get nothing. Only half the icons that are there work and I can't click on a link in IE8 and get anywhere, it just sits there. Also, when I start my computer, theres a flash of light on the top that just shoots down to the Quick Launch bar. Also, if I right click on IE and click Options, that don't work, neither does Internet Options in Control Panel. And now Internet Options from the pull down in Avant browser [tried this cause of IE malfuction] don't work.
I tried uninstalling IE8 again and can't, theres files missing [WINDOWS NT Uninstall Directory being the main one.] and I don't know where or if I can get this file, I have no Restore CD. I installed IE8 over itself and files are still missing.
I've tried everything in Microsoft, asked for help in MG and nothing works. IE8 doesn't appear in Add/Remove, tried a command prompt and it always goes back to files missing. I think something may be lurking somewhere but have no clue what to look for. Ive scanned with Avast, Maywarebytes and Panda cloud, all came up clean. Could something be stopping the full install so I can't get the files back?
Running XP Home with SP2. Thanks for any help offered.

Edited by stephan08611, 30 January 2010 - 09:10 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Have you the System Restore enable?
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#3 stephan08611

stephan08611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

Yes, I had System restore enabled and when I reverted back it seems to have gotten worse. IE8 is almost useless. Besides not beening able to access the toolbars I want, it won't open any links.
Now, and this really amazes me, I wasn't able to access Internet Options in IE8 toolbar. I downloaded 4 other browsers [Opera, Safari, Avant and Firefox]. Internet Options doesn't work on any of them. I tired accessing it in the Control Panel and that won't open, either.
Frustrated, I tried Housecall today and that came up clean. Any help would be appreciated.
I tried downloading Ad-aware. It took almost 1/2 hour to download then couldn't open.
So I've scanned with Panda Cloud, Avast, Malwarebytes and HouseCall and nothing, but somethings definitely lurking on here.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Edited by stephan08611, 02 February 2010 - 12:57 AM.

#4 stephan08611

stephan08611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

I finally resolved my issue. I reinstalled IE8 from another site and all is well. Evidently the Microsoft website I installed all the other's from was/is corrupt.
I went to a site for IE add-ons, thinking if I added something it'd jolt IE8 into working. I got an alert that I didn't have IE8 installed [I do] and it asked if I wanted to download it. I did and everythings fine. That was the second site to tell me I didn't have it installed, so I don't know WHAT i got from Microsoft but other sites couldn't identify it as iE8. All is well, Thank you .
Even the Internet Options I couldn't even access through the Control Panel is working.

Edited by stephan08611, 06 February 2010 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users