Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios doesn't show CD ROM as a boot option!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

I have an old system running Windows XP and am wanting to perform a re installation of XP. Unfortunately I am unable to boot from the CD (no CD Rom Option in the Bios) for some reason and the system won't let me boot from my Flash Drive. Is there any other way to install XP without these two options. It was booting from a CD yesterday, but today it won't work. I checked the connections and they seem to be fine. I removed the battery, but that did not help. I tried another CD drive, same result. The system had a bad log log off thing going on which was caused by Internet Security 2010. I removed the virus by putting the old hard drive in another PC. Without thinking I tried to do a repair install using a Dell Home re installation disk, and got half way through and it kept asking me for a audio driver. I was stuck and then realized I should not be using this disk as The system was pre built and not a Dell. Please Help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

OK I'm confused about why you were using a dell repair disk...but any ways...

Have you checked the data cable going to the cdrom for any signs of damage? e.g. pulled wire not making contact with the post. Or tried another cable?

Have you tried an AUTO setting in BIOS for the channel the drive is on?

Have you tried a different power wire if there is another spare?

Not sure if you have IDE or not, but your boot options might be settings like IDE-0 IDE-1 ect, it may not list them as hard drive or cdrom.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 January 2010 - 12:51 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to system defaults?

The only time I've seen a BIOS not reflect a properly attached drive...the drive was dead or something was wrong with the BIOS (CMOS battery needed replacing).

Assuming that the drive was previously recognized and working properly, I'd try a new CMOS battery. That would also reset the CMOS/BIOS to defaults.

Louis

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

Thanks so much for all of your good suggestions. I finally solved the issue through trying all of your suggestions. I should have studied how the cables were configured before I started removing the hard drive. I changed the configuration of the ribbons and that worked. I did learn through this experience and will be better when a similar situation arises. Cheers. Craig

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Glad to hear it!!

I didn't think about the possibility that you had a master/slave setup on the same ribbon wire.........my bad......I mean if that was the problem.
I guess I should have asked if you had 2 drives on the same cable and if you had the slave/master jumpers on each drive set correctly.

Any way, glad we were of some help, thats what this forum is all about. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users