Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for USB "drivers" to become corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sismoon

sismoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have an HP Pavilion dv5135nr Laptop, running XP Media Center SP3.

I noticed this problem with my 2 Seagate external storage drives. One is an older model, a 160 Gb push-button model, and a brand-new Free Agent Desk 1Tb model. I had them both plugged in and working fine, but the last few days, neither one will register properly. They both show up in the device manager as unidentified USB devices.

I can plug in my mouse and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I can unplug and replug, and sometimes it works. I just keep doing it until it works.

When I plug something into one of the three USB ports, I hear the noise, but many times hear the "disconnect" noise immediately, and sometimes it happens after awhile for no apparent reason.

I have tried uninstalling all of the USB items listed in the device manager and rebooting.

I am getting an error message with the "unidentified USB device" that says that the device is not configured properly (code 1, code 10). That is what Windows is saying, but Seagate says that there is no additional drivers for this, in addition to what comes with Windows.

I have tried all the support suggestions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575 and so far have found nothing of any help at the Microsoft Website, despite hours of searching.

I have spent several hours looking for updated software for these Seagate drives, but there are none.

The HP support and download page does not have any files for USB drivers either.

I suspect it is a problem with the USB drivers, but can't figure out how to find them, much less reinstall them manually. Most sites that allow you to download the driver files listed in my device manager want you to download their scanning software, so I am very leery of those, and haven't installed anything from any of those sites.

I appreciate any suggestions. I just want to be able to plug my storage drives in and back up files! Everything else in the laptop seems to be working correctly.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

See Remove and Reinstall... from the MS link. Note that it says "controllers" not "devices."

To answer your question...it's possible for ANY driver (Microsoft, hardware, software) to become damaged at any time.

Louis

#3 sismoon

sismoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

See Remove and Reinstall... from the MS link. Note that it says "controllers" not "devices."
Louis

Thanks for the suggestion, Louis! I had tried removing the "root hub" and the controllers. Unfortunately, no luck.

sismoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users