Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes pimp slapped and left for dead!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SGL1

SGL1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

So I'm doin' my thang online last night mindin' my own bidness using Firefox 3.6 then saw a golf game link and not thinking clicked it then tried to close it and go directly to it. TOO LATE! Bada bing Malwarebytes pops up telling me it's caught two trojans or whatever I don't recall the name. I've never had it do this. Usually it runs in the background calmly with Antivir.

Well whatever it was, up pop the stupid anti-malware ads so I know Malwarebytes did not catch it. Not only that Malwarebytes doesn't work and won't reinstall. Dead in the water. Antivir runs but doesn't find anything. Amazing. It always seems to find everything else and half the time it's false positives. So I look online and finally try Combofix since it seems to be the best solution for this bug. It runs and although it does allow me to reinstall Malwarebytes it did not eradicate the virus. Previously I had tried all the MWB fixes: renaming, alternate renamed MWB dl's, etc to no avail. Even tried renaming task mgr which didn't work.

So I run MWB and it finds 14 bugs. Run Spywarebot and it finds 2 bugs. Antivir: nothing. I suppose everything is peachy clean now but my question is how in the hell did this happen? I have never to my knowledge had anything like this happen. I read that Java add-ons (which are installed) has vulnerabilities so should I uninstall all those? I have a MWB log and ComboFix log I can post if that would help shed some light on this.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SGL1

SGL1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

Helloooo anyone? Any help here?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

:thumbsup: ComboFix logs, where should I post them?

I suppose everything is peachy clean now but my question is how in the hell did this happen? I have never to my knowledge had anything like this happen.

Please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 SGL1

SGL1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •