Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CSRSS.EXE and LSASS.EXE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

MBAM found what it said was a trojan a couple of weeks ago and said it quarantined and deleted it.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDORSYS (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I wrote here and asked if it was a problem, but got no answer. It showed nothing on a scan after or today. Today my game was running slow so I checked the Task manager and found CSRSS.EXE and LSASS.EXE. Googled them, they are a trojan or trojans. Microsoft says of the first that I need to delete my profile from another account... I have not idea how to do that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion) and the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. It is responsible for managing most graphical commands in Windows, console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment. This process is important for stable and secure operation of your system and should not be terminated. Determining whether csrss.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legit csrss.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location, it's usually indicative of malware.

lsass.exe is the Local Security Authentication Server which verifies the validity of user logons to your computer and generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. The lsass.exe process receives authentication requests from WINLOGON and calls the appropriate authentication package (implemented as a DLL) to perform the actual verification, such as checking whether a password matches what is stored in the SAM (the part of the registry that contains the definition of the users and groups). This process is important for stable and secure operation of your system and should not be terminated. Determining whether lsass.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. The legit lsass.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location, it's usually indicative of malware.

Most of the processes in Task Manager will be legitimate as shown in these links.Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, choose Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users