Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Appinit Dlls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thewhole9

thewhole9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Im now using HiJackthis, I a came across a file called appinit_Dlls: sekanawo.dll c when I click on info on selected item it says appinit: Action taken: registry value cleared,but not deleted. Action taken for winlogon notify:registry key deleted. SOMEONE HELP ME, should i put a check next to it an delete it or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

You do not want sekanawo.dll on your computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 etcrCustomComputers

etcrCustomComputers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Im now using HiJackthis, I a came across a file called appinit_Dlls: sekanawo.dll c when I click on info on selected item it says appinit: Action taken: registry value cleared,but not deleted. Action taken for winlogon notify:registry key deleted. SOMEONE HELP ME, should i put a check next to it an delete it or what?

You should delete seknawo.dll.

Please update Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes then run a full scan from safe mode. What anti virus program are you using?

#4 thewhole9

thewhole9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

You should delete seknawo.dll.

Please update Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes then run a full scan from safe mode. What anti virus program are you using?

but how?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

thewhole9,

I have to ask, have you been trained in the use of HJT?
If not, it isn't a good idea for you to muck about with it on your own.
If you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess up your system.

The best thing you can do is to submit the log for review by a member of the HJT team. These team members have undergone rigorous training in the use of HJT and they know what to look for and can advise you on cleaning your system.

Please read THIS TOPIC before posting your log. Follow the steps and then post the log in HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal

While you only have a snippet from the log, I think it falls under this

from HERE

Were we to permit some members to reply to HijackThis logs or give advice, then we would have to allow other members to do the same. Not knowing the background or training of such posters, we could not vouch for the accuracy or safety of the instructions provided. Thus, only trained members of the HJT Team, HJT Senior Classmen, Moderators or Administrators are allowed to help people with logs.

I also notice that you have an open topic HERE in Am I Infected? Are you using HJT to help you with that issue?
If you are, you have a choice. Post your log in the correct forum and ask that the topic in Am I Infected by closed.
OR you can wait for a response to your AII post. Someone will guide you through the clean up process, and if a HJT log is needed, they will tell you to post one.

If you choose to post a HJT log, please go to Tidiness forum here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137145/bleeping-computer-tidiness/

Post the link to your AII topic and request that it be closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 January 2010 - 10:50 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

HijackThis will only fix what you ask it to fix by checking the box next to the entry. The Info on selected items button tells you what action HijackThis will perform if you choose to fix that particular entry.

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: (Action taken for AppInit_DLLs: Registry value is cleared by not deleted.)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: (Action taken for Winlogon Notify: Registry key is deleted)

And just because you "fixed" something with HijackThis, that does not mean you have a clean system. There are specific files and folders which must be deleted afterwards. HijackThis does not delete them. Futher, removing entries in HijackThis before the problem is properly identified can make the malware undetectable to other detection and removal tools.

Since HijackThis is a powerful tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Operating System and can cause system damage if used incorrectly, only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

Please follow the instructions by Queen-Evie.

Edited by quietman7, 31 January 2010 - 10:39 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users