Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Read/Write to a external HDD over Wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThorsonB

ThorsonB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

How can I / is it possible to write (copy files from A to :huh: to an external HDD over Wifi?

I live in a house with 12 people, and we all use the Wifi.

I own 3 different laptops (Macbook OSX 10.5, Laptop Windows 7, Netbook Win XP Pro)

I own one ex-HDD, which houses all my music/videos/documents.

What I want to do is be the only one on the wifi network that can see the ex-HDD when it is plugged in to any of my computers, and copy / paste files to it.

Basically I want my ex-HDD, when plugged in, to be like my file server, an only I should be able to see it (because I'm sure setting need to be set to share the HDD or something)

Remember I own 3 different OS's Mac OSX, Win7 and WinXP Pro.
Thus meaning from any of the 3 OS's I have, I have full access to the files (delet, copy, read/write etc... etc)

Any help is always appreciated.

Pardon me in advance if I misunderstand your tips/help/comments, I'm not that tech literate :thumbsup:.
Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems. -- Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

FIrst you would need to attach the Ext HDD to a computer on your network and then share it. All computers that need access to the HDD would need to belong to the same workgroup and the account that needs to access the HDD must have the same username and password on both the machine that is accessing the HDD and the machine to which the HDD is connected. From what I have read however you cannot use Win 7 to connect the HDD and shrae it because all computers that access then need to be running Win 7 same with XP Pro not sure about the Mac's since I don't use them. I may be a little off base on those maybe others can shed some more light.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

<<...however you cannot use Win 7 to connect the HDD and shrae it because all computers that access then need to be running Win 7...>>

I thought the same thing when I initially installed Win 7, but I was playing around with it and I now don't believe this is true.

Unfortunately...I have Win 7 installed but I don't play with it much (spend most time in XP), but I think you can connect to a preexisting home network from Win 7.

As stated, once the hard drive is set up as a shared device on the system...users will have access.

Louis

#4 ThorsonB

ThorsonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

<<...however you cannot use Win 7 to connect the HDD and shrae it because all computers that access then need to be running Win 7...>>

I thought the same thing when I initially installed Win 7, but I was playing around with it and I now don't believe this is true.

Unfortunately...I have Win 7 installed but I don't play with it much (spend most time in XP), but I think you can connect to a preexisting home network from Win 7.

As stated, once the hard drive is set up as a shared device on the system...users will have access.

Louis

I think my problems have been answered, I just got n Air Port from a friend, and since this thing does USB Printer sharing.. im sure i can just plug my ex-HDD's USB into it and gain access along with read/write access.
I will give it a shot when i have time to set up the Air Port

Thanks for your help thus far guyys!

I didnt know Win7 was such a crappy os > "

...however you cannot use Win 7 to connect the HDD and shrae it because all computers that access then need to be running Win 7...

Posted Image
Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems. -- Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users