Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nvidia video card issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hello everybody!

So this morning I was watching some videos online and all of a sudden the screen went green and fuzzy. The system froze and restarted on it's own. Then once it started up again, the screen was filled with pink and green squiggly lines and the desktop was hard to see. It froze again and gave a blue screen error. It went away quickly but I was able to catch something about an error with nvddmkm.sys and something else about STOP 0x00000116.

I did a quick search and found a few possible fixes. I'm thinking it had to do with a windows update done while I was sleeping. I was able to start up my system recovery and restored my pc back a few days. This worked for about 5 minutes and then it went black for a while and then BSOD. Now I'm at the point where even safe mode won't boot up at all so the latest windows update cannot be uninstalled. I even get multicolored artifacts while the computer is booting up (system info, windows splash screen, etc) which leads me to believe my video card might be at it's final days.

Please say it isn't so! A few months ago I had a similar problem on my desktop and just gave up and bought a new video card. I just don't want to shell out more money I really don't have right now.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luis

EDIT: Forgot to mention some specs. It's a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ180E running Vista with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT video card.

Edited by luie620, 30 January 2010 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

well, my guess would be a video card. if you have the ability to swap it into another system or put another video card into it, that will tell you for sure, or you can try downloading a linux liveCD. if you can get it to boot up with linux, it may be a software issue, but my guess is you have a hardware issue.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

I second the motion, your gaphics card has bit the dust. Most likely cause--graphics card CPU over heating. Make sure its getting unrestricted air flow.
Try removing the card and re-seating it again, if no go after that, replace card, it's shot.

By the way nvddmkm.sys is a nvidia graphics card system file.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 January 2010 - 01:16 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

When I get some free time I'll try removing and reseating the card. Something tells me it has overheated. I've taken it apart to give a thorough cleaning a few times but it's always way to hot to keep on my lap. I bought a cooling pad but it's pretty annoying.

I don't know much about laptop hardware but would there be a way to add another fan or have another internal cooling solution?

Also, if I do end up having to buy another card, would you guys have any suggestions or know a place I could find reviews on them?

Oh and one last comment, I thought the video card doesn't kick in until windows boots up? I remember when my desktop went bad, the display only went bad once windows started. On my laptop it seems these multicolored things start as soon as the pc is switched on.

Thanks guys!

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Just booted up the computer to see if it was still screwy and so far so good. Seems to be running fine and it's been on for over an hour. I'm guessing it might have been an overheating issue since I usually have the computer on all day.

So going back to my other questions, is there an alternate solution for cooling the laptop? I've cleaned it and am using an external cooling pad as well.

Also, if it does go bad, am I able to upgrade the card or am I just limited to the same card? If worst comes to worse, I would rather upgrade the card while I'm at it.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Nevermind it fuzzed up again. Should I try a fresh install of windows to see if it might be a software related issue?

Edited by luie620, 07 February 2010 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users