Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Access

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

I think there must be good alternatives to MS Access for modeling and employing databases. Know of any freeware that provides for these functions that will work with MS Excel & Word document files? :flowers: I can google and search, but I just thought since these needs have existed forever and the Microsoft options for dealing with them have been around for over a decade, that some "standout" programs may have been developed. I'd be interested in one of them to try out. Access doesn't seem as user friendly as the other two, also...IMHO. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:44 PM

phwagg me too!!

OpenOffice mentioned as an alternative for spreadsheets and wordprocessing does not seem to have any database app.

The only DB's I have found are pay by the byte :thumbsup: Will be watching to see if someone has any suggestions

Edited by Bluie, 21 September 2004 - 11:45 PM.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

yeah, Bluie, I think database as a term is applied to computer-talk kinda like filet is applied to selling meat...to get more money. :flowers: Everybody thinks it is some lofty notion that only big corporations should know about, yet even mine and your computers could adequately service a small airline's needs sufficiently on a daily basis with a little foresight, a little program and some basic alertness to some very few details. :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:05 AM

Since I don't use this type of app, I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, or not. Might not have the functionality you need:

Database:

With the database tools in OpenOffice.org users can easily access and analyze data, create complex reports or do a mail merge based on a customer database. Many open source and commercial database systems are supported.

* Table control via keyboard navigation in table designer.
* Added ability to switch off brackets for bibliography fields.
* New database type in data source administration dialog - MySQL.
* Ability to add labels to field names in the report wizard.
* A data source can now use any character set known to OpenOffice.org.
* UI support for user installed database drivers.
* Database Report Wizard

This link has a more complete list of OpenOffice features.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:28 AM

I use OpenOffice.Org and it is every bit as good as MS Office; it does have database features, though in truth I have not used them. since I am more comfortable with using spreadsheets and macros.
It's a free download, so you might want to try it out. But documentation may be a little scanty. There are usergroups, though, that can supply a lot of detailed information.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:18 PM

Last time I looked at OOo it didn't mention the DB must admit it has been a while. Wonder how complicated changing from Access would be.

Using Access feels like I purchased an Indy 500 race car to drive to the mall. I know Access is much more powerful than the use I get, but you have to know how to program to get it to do anything useful.

Going to give OOo a trial. Hope someone is handy if/when I get it totally in a knot.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:17 AM

From what you write, I think a spreadsheet my be more what you need. In either case, I would certainly check out OO.o.
Cheers
John

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:38 AM

John, to be more specific, now that you ask...

I want to have all of the good entries from the clean HJT logs listed on a spreadsheet.
same with the bad, on another one. Same with those that are optional. Different lists for each operating system. Each entry to any list must have it's source. Each post thread that determines the good, the bad & the "ugly" files is a unique source. The data per operating system is furthor segregated into two lists...one for "processes" and the other for "registry entries".

These (6) lists covering the (5) windows OS's then have a lot of data that would best be sorted by a database program. I could then query the program in ways I develop at it's inception. Questions like "Is this a bad file in XP" could be simply answered yes, or even with a qualifying answer, yes, with ____ variable. The data base could also serve to respond with other information taken from the post threads...based on the facts of updates being listed in the first four lines of the HJT logs. Data regarding the timeline of the analysis procedure, as well.

It is a case for the interaction of word processing/spreadsheet/database programs. The Office Suite works OK. The humble operator of said programs does, too. To a point. Transfer of the information, or the delegation of sub-operations thereof may require some interaction between OOo and MS Office, I anticipate.

Your interest and identifying the Open Office.org is very helpful, and I will experiment more with it. Right now, I've sorta got my hands full cagin' my idea into a managable routine. :thumbsup:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:27 AM

A database like that would take a LOT of time doing entries, but would be an awesome tool for anyone looking through a HT log!!!!!!!

With some careful planning, you could put all the data on one spreadsheet, using different columns to help sort the material. A column for OS, one for good, another for bad, etc. If you are into macros, you could just build one for data entry and another for queries.
If the DB in OOo works for you, I would think the interaction between it and the OOo word processor and spreadsheet would be superior to using it and Office.

This tutorial might give you some general ideas and direction about using OOo database:

http://linux.corozal.com/guides/30flatdb/index.html

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 September 2004 - 10:33 AM.

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:56 PM

A database like that would take a LOT of time doing entries, but would be an awesome tool for anyone looking through a HT log!!!!!!!

It does. It would. I'm already seeing results, though. In the winXp member files, they are either done or pending.
  • done=34
  • pending=55
If done, the logs have bad objects removed. Reg entries by using HJT. Files/folders manually. They also have confirmed a long list of good objects, both kinds. If pending, the bad have been removed, confirmed good are yet to be finalized.

In doing this, 4 spreadsheets are active.
  • winXP good processes...578
  • winXP bad processes...537
  • winXP good reg entries...1111
  • winXP bad reg entries...1132
Those numbers are rough. I have eliminated duplicates immediatly after alphabetizing them (1 second time elapsed), but the ongoing nature of inclusions makes for some dupes at all times practically. It's easier to tell the good ones in all the variety just leaving some of the dupes, I think. Fast scrolling and you can see 'em. The bad guys are a motley bunch, and there are some curious twists.

I've just begun to fight. I may indeed try the OOo. It looks promising. For now I'm narrowing the focus on the "grunt work" and there are other variables to consider as well. Having a single place to put the actual repeat offenders and a way to view the upstanding ones, so to speak, I find helpful...if not the only answer to the problems.

:thumbsup:

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:01 AM

I am sure, when you have finished, having such a db will save you a lot of research time with each log, and as long as you periodically delete the inevitable duplicates, the number of records will be relatively few in number.
At some time in the near future, as I understand it from reading the OO.o site, it plans to include a full-blown Access-type application.
Cheers,
John

#12 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:15 AM

MS OFFICE version of acces would be the best version to the open office org (freeware). there is a cheaper version to office is the office works suite costing about $100 compared to $350 for office with access.

#13 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:12 AM

to be honest for freeware alternatives, you can't beat MS Office for Access. I know that means $$$ but you usually get what you pay for. My opinion, Office is a bit over priced,
they should have a cheaper office for a home user as well like giving the propper Word Excel PowerPoint Outlook applications, but just take a few options off them or something (mainlu the options that you would need in a business)
then charge $199 for it at least they would sell some more.
I know you can get the full MS Word 2002 in Works Suite 2005 - they should have used Word 2003.

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

Some computer makers will include Works as part of their software, which is adequate for the casual user, and translates into Office files easily. It does not include a real DB, however, just some templates for its spreadsheet.
I am told the new edition of OOo, soon to be released, will include a more fully featured DB application, although it might not have all the many features of Access nor will you have to pay a lot of money for it.
Considering that Office has been around for quite a while, and really has not changed that much, one would think that the price for the suite would have gone down, but it seems to be a MS cash cow.
Regards,
John

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:23 AM

All computer makers should include MIcrosoft Word, & Microsoft Excel for any computer that you buy through computers stores say like Harvey Norman because they charge enough for computers there. Even if microsoft give them the 2002 version for it. Works is ok mainly for people who don't use that sort of thing much. But i use it a lot and i need MS Word, i want Word 2003 but i ain't paying $249 by it self. I have Office XP Pro which i payed $299 New, only the packaging was damaged and the CD's were fine and the number was fine. It was a special edition one with FrontPage & Publisher. not that i really needed it all. but cheaper than just word 2003. it works out about $45 an application. as Office 2003 is $500. ($80 an application). I would really like to know how much it costs microsoft to produce a office pack (CD, BOX, CASE, and the Programs on the Disc) and know how much they mark it up to make a profet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users