Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

random computer slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hello guys new to the site,
Every hour or so my computer tends to just slow down and it makes watching videos, listening to music, etc. difficult. My computer runs fine but it just randomly slows down after a couple of hours.The only fix is to restart the computer which is heavily annoying. Things I've tried: scanning for viruses/spyware which shows nothing(using nod32). I ran error-check, said my computer was fine. I ran Disk Defragmentation, still the problem persist. I looked at System Information regarding conflicts/sharing it shows some things like memory address, I/O port, and IRQ problems. I have no idea if this could be the problem, not sure. You can take a look at it in my attachments. Well anyways computer specs:

Processor:Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.50 GHz
Ram: 2.00 GB
Hard Drive Size(Local Disk C:): 27.9 GB
Used Space(Local Disk C:): 20.4 GB
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS

Attached Files

Edited by jgweed, 05 February 2010 - 08:25 AM.
thread moved to more appropriate forum.jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

A system is supposed to slow down when it's being asked to do more.

The most useful thing you can do...take a look at Task Manager when it slows down. Write down the processes and CPU percentages reflected for anything reflecting 20% usage or more. Post the findings here.

Use this tool to review svchost.exe entries, How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

It's not useful to perceive a "slowdown" without backing it up with some data that is meaningful.

Louis

#3 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

hamluis

the closest processor using 20% usage or more when i experience the slowdown is firefox.exe and taskmgr.exe using both about 10% CPU. This is what happens every hour or so, whenever I perform a small action such as clicking a link or watching a video on the internet my computer would pause for about 2 secs and come back and my computer will feel slower in performance and would stay that way, even when not asked to do anything, restarting my computer seems to be the only fix and the problem will just repeat every hour or so. I've had this problem for quite a while now so I don't really know what is causing it to happen.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Well...you don't seem to have any data to support your contention...20% CPU usage is nothing and if there is no data in Task Manager reflecting a process or number of processes...I have to interpret that as normal operation for the CPU.

Of course, there's always the possibility of malware...but I would think that would reveal some process using up CPU cycles.

If you drew a blank on svchost.exe processes/instances...and you don't have any evidence in Task Manager...I have to assume it's a normal cycle.

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document...gs_manager.html

If your issue is specific to flash video loading and buffering, here is where you set your local buffer and other privacy settings.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

hamluis

I looked at "Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware" I've tried every tip and suggestion on that site even cleaning and taking out all the dust inside my computer and still the problem persist.

Broni

I've attached the file to my reply.

Attached Files

Edited by beno26, 02 February 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

I can see some unneeded startups, but most likely, not enough of them to cause a major slowdown, especially since it doesn't happen right away, but after some time of computer usage.

Let's try something else...

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

Make sure to take the report, when you see your computer slowing down.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Alright I've added procexp.txt while my computer experienced the slowdown.

Attached Files

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

System Idle Process (CPU not used) is at pretty low level at 58%
If we add Process Explorer (which normally doesn't run) at 18.5%, it gives us 72.5%, still low.
Now, the thing is, I can't see any main CPU "hogger", because remaining 27% is scattered throughout different processes.

I'd probably start with going to "Am I infected?" forum and I'd make sure the computer is really clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

So should I repost at that forum topic or can someone moved me over there? What am I suppose to look at?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

I will suggest (internally) that this thread be moved to the appropriate malware forum.

From this point on, take all suggestions/instructions from either a Mod or someone actively handling your situation in one of our malware forums.

Louis

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Just a thought; if you are infected it IMHO it would not take that long for you to notice the slow down. It could be as simple as a over heating problem. Not to say don't run scans. It never hurts to scan. I'm a scanning fool. I think you have been asked before how are you measuring slow down and by what means.

#14 Guest_beno26_*

Guest_beno26_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, I have completed so many scans and none of them show up that I am infected. It could possibly an overheating issue, but how do I determine if it is?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

This topic is now in the Am I Infected Forum...I repeat my suggestion re taking advice.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2010 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users