Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys WRT110 Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mieng

Mieng

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

Ok, here is an issue that has been driving me nuts. I have several computers that are using my wireless router, I've assigned each authorized MAC address a static IP address so that they should not walk all over another computer's IP address when they boot up to connect. This seems to work great for all my devices except my son's laptop with is a Dell Latitude 1525 running Vista. Whenever he boots up, he knocks everyone (usually me) off temporarily. I lose my network connection and usually have wait a few minutes and then reboot. Sometimes I have to reboot a couple of times. I've tried repairing the connection too and that does not seem to fix the issue. Any ideas as to what might be causing the rest of us to lose connection as he attempts to connect ? Is it matters, most of the other users are running XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

You say several, is that 3? or 4?

Are they all connected via wireless?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Mieng

Mieng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Most of the time I have one desktop that is connected via wired connection (it stays on all the time), one or two XP latops that are connected via wireless, then my son tries to connect (wireless) with his Vista laptop and that is when the problems start.

Edited by Mieng, 30 January 2010 - 02:40 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

So you have 1 desktop that is wired, 2 XP laptops and a Vista laptop all connecting wireless? I'm willing to bet it is a channel issue.

If you surf into your router(do this on the wired desktop, NEVER change router settings via wireless) under Wireless it should be on the Basic wireless page you'll see the Channel and normally it is set to Auto. This might take some messing with, but channels 1, 6 ,11 are the main channels in the US and Canada. Those 3 give the cleanest signal with the smallest amount of overlap. So start trying different numbers, try numbers in the middle like 3, 4, 8, 9 and see if that clears up the issue.

You could also download Netstumbler and use it to see what other wireless signals are around you and what channels they are using then pick a number that no one else is using. If no one is around you then don't bother. Altho Netstumbler is a really cool program.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Mieng

Mieng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Ok, downloaded NetStumbler....my network is called 750 Palm, set to channel 11. The guy across the street from me has an unsecured router that is also set to channel 11. Three other routers set to channel 6, and one other router set to channel 5. Maybe the other network on channel 11 is causing the issue because it is unsecured. What do you think? I'll reset my router to another channel that is unused in the and try that...

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Well be ready for me to be wrong lol but my fingers are crossed that it works out that it was just a channel thing.

I say I might be wrong cause my "off the top of my head lets try the simplest thing" hasn't been working lately :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users