Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Howdy do from rainy Chico CA

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnnyTwoSticks

JohnnyTwoSticks

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi, I'm a self taught computer nerd. I kind of think of myself as having enough knowledge to be dangerous. But I've learned enough to know where to find answers (for the most part) to my PC problems. My biggest "success": the ancient PC in the staff break room (I work in at a mostly special needs pre-school -we share the building with a 'normal' childrens' preschool and mainstream some our special needs kids, such as high functioning autistic children who can benefit from the social interaction and learn things we normals take for granted such as saying hello, waiting for a turn etc.) Anyway, the staffroom PC gets a lot of use and maybe 5 years ago it was taking 20 to 30 minutes to boot into Windows. After getting permission from the Principal (our District's tech people aren't too speedy about PC requests) I began getting the PC clean. Took about 6 hours of actual work but when I was finished the PC was spyware and virus free. And I've used LogMeIn to help out my sister and some friends.

Odd kind of "hobby", eh? Keeping up with security and spyware. Actually I think it would be really cool to be a REAL computer genius and work in a big-time security company. On the other hand, maybe that would be quite boring. Especially compared to my job working with little children who have some serious problems. ha. In a room with 11 small children (age 3 to 5) and 5 adults, with 4 children who use shrieking for communication and maybe 5 or 6 children who have regular tantrums... challenging. Rewards: their laughter, the beginnings of actual speech like making "ma" or "buh" or "oh" as in Mama, ball, open, putting together a rather easy (for adults and older children) puzzle, sharing, waiting in line.

I am also a writer, a playwright. just last year I wrote a play about Richard Nixon, a project that had been brewing for over 30 years. Anyone interested can Google or Yahoo "Radiance Nixon O'Brien" and it'll come up at the top. The play is on Scribd.com. Currently at work on another play that has been in the works (percolating) for at least 30 years.

Looking forward...Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users