Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon scanner Windows 7 Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BarrieB

BarrieB

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

This is a bit of a tale. Just got a new Dell with Windows 7 and mostly everything works fine. Had a bit of a problem with HP Phototsmart 1215 as good old HP don't support it any more. As I had the same problem with my laptop using Vista I eventually solved it. If anyone else has this problem the HP 990c drivers work.

It seems Canon have the same policy regarding my scanner LIDE 20. Very old but still worked under W2000. Not a hope under W7. Just a plain "no" on their website but elsewhere I found that pretending it is a LIDE60 works.

Right that is the preamble now to the problem.

Finally got the right drivers (and the right canon toolbox which is vital apparently) but somehow the scanner does not work. Here are the symptoms

• The buttons on the front of the scanner just don't work
  • Using Capture within Photoshop freezes the application with "Server Busy" error message with option to switch to other program (there isn't one) which just cycles round and I need to go to Task Manager to close the application
  • Right clicking the device in Device manager produces a "This device requires WIA Driver" message. WIA service is definitely working
  • Finally the device is linked to TWAIN32 drivers even though I have loaded the right 64 ones
So any ideas anyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

OK Here is an update

At about the same time I posted this I also requested help from Canon support. 12 days later I have had three replies. One (after a big delay) stating that this was too hard and passing it up the chain. The second gave full details of how to delete all reference to a previous driver installation. This may be generally useful so if anyone out there would find it useful I will post it in all its glory. The third rather patronising asking whether I had performed all of the steps properly.

Well I did it all and it still didn't work. Same problems as before.

I have now solved the problem by buying a new all in one scanner printer ... from HP.

Now I don't say that HP were any more sympathetic but the simple facts are that I did get my old (obsolete according to HP) printer working whereas canon sits there looking at me doing nothing. But life is just too short.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Sorry nobody was able to help you. Sometimes in a case like this (incompatible printer), it is just best to buy a new one (as you did).

Please feel free to come back here with any more issues you have with Windows 7 (or to another respective sub-forum for whatever issue it happens to be), and we will do our best to help you out.

Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

keyboardNinja
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 BarrieB

BarrieB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •