Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:21 PM

I have no quarrel with Word, either. It works well. My question is primarily due to the fact that not all users have it. If I want to e-mail an Word file to them, how would they use it and still retain all of the formatting and functionality? What is available in freeware that if I didn't have it, I could open one of it's files in, and use it for corrections/editting and when its returned, Word will "read" it and I can carry on?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

Awesome question Phawgg! I had a friend who didn't have Word on her computer so she sent me certain files so I could 'redo' them. I know people who don't have computers with the ability to read Adobe Acrobat have the same problem - but I think that is a free download somewhere. I wish I knew the answer to this one. Notepad is definitely not an alternative. I don't even like copying and pasting recipes to that! But for HJT logs, it's fine.
I'll watch this thread since I'd love to know what others can volunteer to help.

~67~

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Oh, I stumbled upon this site. Maybe it would do the trick, Phawgg. Check it out and let us know.

www.winfield.demon.nl

~67~

Edited by TexasAngel67, 21 September 2004 - 03:32 PM.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

I don't use notepad that much, except for quick notes and code. I find wordpad to work much better than notepad for general purpose copying of most anything written as well as initiating documents. I can change fonts & faces, and basic functions of word processing. Any http:// that appears as text in a wordpad I'm able to convert to a hyperlink by simply opening the wordpad with Word, and after highlighting it, simply click on the appropriate icon on the toolbar to access the website. So, if/when I need to include hyperlinks within the text it's a couple clicks away. I'm not exactly sure if wordpad is included in the XP operating system without having the Office Suite, or not. I thought it was, but I usually load the Office programs I use immediatly after the OS, and I'm not certain. Check your All Programs--> Accessories... it would be the last on the list.

your link ~67 :thumbsup: I had to edit the link, some strangeness occurred. When I clicked the first one I had it took me to Microsoft. Hmm

Edited by phawgg, 21 September 2004 - 03:57 PM.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:31 PM

So, what did you think of the site and its information? Would it do the trick?

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:29 PM

Looks good to me. I'll d/ld it soon and give it a try. A couple few things are hovering above it at higher priority for the moment... I appreciate your quick response. Maybe your friend can use the tip, too. :thumbsup:

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:06 PM

Is this, maybe, what you are looking for?
OpenOffice

Some Features:

Word Processor
Spreadsheet
Presentation Tool
Drawings and Diagrams
Database Access
Microsoft Office Compatibility
One-click Export to PDF
Export to Flash (.SWF)
ActiveX Control
Support for DocBook and PDA File Formats

65.6Mb download

Edited by tg1911, 21 September 2004 - 06:21 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:35 PM

hey, Tg1911, that link is an eye-openner, for sure. Have you used it ? :thumbsup:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:17 PM

No, I haven't used it. It's always the one recommended, on a couple of the boards I frequent. It's not supposed to be as big a resource hog as Word.

I don't use any of those types of programs that often, so there wasn't enough interest to install it. I did download it though, just in case I, or someone I know, might need it. Checking out the documentation on the site, it looks like a fairly well supported program, with a lot of functionality.

If you, or someone else, decides to try it, post back with some info. Who knows, I might switch if it is a leaner running program.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

Here again, OOo, is a useful solution. Especially with the WP, it is almost completely translateable into .doc format (some embedded pictures need redoing). Also, there are free MS readers available for Word, Powerpoint, and Excell (that I know of); these allow users who do not have Office to open and read---but not manipulate---MS Office products. I know that OOo will save any document as a PDF file, but then the recipient cannot modify it.
I have been forcing myself to use OOo in place of MS Office for around a year (old habits die hard, I have to admit). I have no problem opening or saving as Word documents. OOo is every bit as good as Office for all practical uses, although the documentation is a little scanty (I think there is a OOo Guide, or manual out there somewhere, but if you know Office, it is pretty easy to figure out OOo). Where OOo shines is in longer documents; these seem to work better and faster.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free download, to answer your question; it even now comes with an optional, and simple, picture filing application.

Hope this helps a little,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

I have installed Open Office on multiple computers. Some of my clients can not even tell the difference between them. I have the link in the Excel thread.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users