Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Internet Security; cleaned but still problems w/ .exe files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve1227

steve1227

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

I was recently infected with a rogue antivirius program which calls itself "XP Internet Security". I was unable to use Malwarebytes, but I was able to run SuperAntiSpyware, which I believe got it. I have Windows XP on a HP Media Center Desktop, about 4 years old.

The new problem is, I cannot run any apps except for Internet Explorer; when I try to open any desktop icon, a window comes up asking what program I would like to open it with. I am able to use the task manager, and it looks like most of the normal processes are running as normal. When I first got the infection, I had removed Malwarebytes and tried to download it again, so the setup is one of the things I cannot run.

I picked up from another thread on here a link to Doug's site with the file association fixes. I was able to download the zip file and unpack it. I was also able to open regedit using a command prompt window. However, when I try to import the reg file, I get an error message saying the registry cannot be accessed.

Am I still infected? Or is there another way to fix the registry? Or will I have to run my recovery discs?

Any helpful hints will be vastly appreciatted!

-Steve

Edited by steve1227, 30 January 2010 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steve1227

steve1227
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

never mind - I found this: http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php which was a pretty easy fix. All applications now working properly! Hopefully someone else will get some use out of it.

-Steve

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Glad you found a solution
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users