Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get data off old Win98 computer (burning and USB failed)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 SaraRose

SaraRose

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to recover data from my old Windows 98 (Second Edition) computer. I haven't used it in years and decided to try to plug it in and get it running again so that I could burn my old stuff onto some blank DVDs and transfer the old files to my new computer. Unfortunately thus far I have not succeeded in being able to do this.

I got the computer running and split my stuff up into three folders, Folder One being 4.1GB, Folder Two being 2.9GB and Folder Three being 3.6GB. I put in a blank DVD-R (4.7GB) and attempted to burn Folder One to the DVD with the burning program that's on there (a freeware program called Burn4Free)...it burned for about 10 seconds and then failed, giving me some error message about filenames and indexing.
I figured there must be some weird glitchy thing in the folder somewhere that was making it fail so I created a .rar file with WinRAR and put Folder One into that. About 3 hours later (it took forever to get Folder One into the rar) the rar was made and I tried burning just the rar to another blank DVD-R...again, it burned for about 10 seconds and then failed, this time giving me this error:

Writer Error [Illegal Request (Logical Block Address Out of Range)]

I googled that error message and got some hits but unfortunately found none of them to be very useful...most are from 5+ years ago and I can't find any real solutions provided. Now, there is some good news...after Folder One and then the rar file of Folder One failed to burn I tried burning Folder Two, which successfully burned to the DVD and I was able to transfer the contents to my current computer. So it does work at least some times.

The second problem...after the DVD-Rs failed I decided to try getting the data via a USB flash drive. The USB port on the computer works since the mouse is plugged in there and it recognizes it, so I figured a flash drive might work as well. Unfortunately no such luck. It did recognize it but then gave me an error about not having the correct Driver needed. After this I tried using an external hard drive on it (also via USB) to the same result. Stupidly I didn't write down what the name of the Drivers were that it said it needed and now when I plug either the flash drive or the external HD in I no longer get the window saying it needs a particular driver and instead the computer just does nothing. I thought of uploading the data somewhere online and then downloading it from my current computer but the Windows 98 machine doesn't recognize the wireless signal to get on the internet and even if it did I doubt it could handle uploading gigs worth of files anyway.

So, now I'm kind of at a loss. I can't get the data burned to a DVD and I can't get the data transferred onto a flash drive or external hard drive. So how do I get it off that computer?

Any help on the matter would be sincerely appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

Welcome to BC.

You might try here;
Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

Edited by ratchet48, 30 January 2010 - 07:55 AM.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

:flowers:
Maybe Sararose may get more Information from here?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290773/slave-driver/

:thumbsup:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Exactly what I was goung to suggest Abacus.
Its the easiest and fastest way to do it.

Once you get the data onto the XP system you can put it on a USB jump drive or external drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 SaraRose

SaraRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

I downloaded the USB drivers exe from here and put it on a CD and moved it to the desktop of the 98 machine. I did as it said and installed it and then rebooted and tried again with an external hard drive via USB...this time the option in the lower right corner of the screen to remove the USB drive came up and in Device Manager under "Storage Device" it had the name of the external HD and in the preferences it said it was working properly.

However, I can't seem to locate the external hard drive anywhere on the machine. In My Computer there's the C drive (not it), the D drive (with nothing but a few folders in it--not the external), the A drive (floppy disk) which it says is Not Accessible and the E drive which it also says is Not Accessible. These same 4 drives are listed there just the same whether or not the external HD is plugged in.

So how can I locate the external hard drive on the computer so that I can move stuff to it? It supposedly is successfully connected and has the right drivers now, I just can't figure out how to access it.

Thanks again!

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Right click your My Computer Icon and select Manage, in Computer Management select Disk Management, hopefully you will see a drive unlettered or unassigned. Right click that drive and select assign a drive letter, if E: is not being used you can use it. Then it should show up in My Computer window.

I also know someone who would be interested in buying your working Windows 98 lcomputer.

Edited by ratchet48, 30 January 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

98 is probably not able to recognize the external hard drive for various reasons.
Might be that it is partitioned with NTFS. If so, 98 will not be able to read the drive at all.

Easiest and fastest thing to do is to take the drive out of the 98 system. Then disconnect the cdrom drives from the XP system and connect it to there. Xp will read a jump drive or external no problem.
If the drive is hooked up to the XP system you can easily copy your stuff onto the external without having to fight getting 98 to recognize it, if it can.

#8 SaraRose

SaraRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Right click your My Computer Icon and select Manage, in Computer Management select Disk Management

Unfortunately when I right click on the My Computer icon there is no "Manage" option...I think that only works with XP, or operating systems newer than 98. So far I haven't figured out any way to get to anything resembling Computer Management/Disk Management with the Windows 98 machine although I would be open to suggestions.

Also another thing: I discovered that the external HD is in fact NTFS, which probably explains most of why it's not working with the Windows 98 computer.

If I were to purchase a new external HD with nothing on it so that I could reformat it and such would I be able to get it to work with the Windows 98 machine then or would there still be a problem?

#9 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

you should be able to format the drive using fat on a XP,Vista or 7 computer. Right click the drive select format and select fat as the file system type.

#10 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

why not use a live linux CD?

#11 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

Recover data with Puppy Linux

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

What is the size of the external USB Drive?
98 had a limit to the size of a drive that it can address. I think it was 120 gig but I am not sure.
This limit may also only apply to hard drives and not USB drives, which did not exist in the 98 days.

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

:flowers:

Eyesee is completely on the right Track.

WIN98 and WIN98SE are completely different Programs to XP. They are compatible if approached the right way, but using XP Tools, not designed for WIN 98SE or even much earlier as in WIN95, is asking for serious Problems with your Data.

What Eyesee is saying about hooking the HDD up through the CD/DVD is as safe as you can get, using Tools designed for later than WIN98SE is just Dangerious, but it is always up to you, We just Advise here, No Charge, No Responsibility.

Hope I don't sound too serious, just Care, Mate.

I do have a little knowledge on WIN98SE and WIN XP combined.

Happy to give you a Guide through for how to do it, as I am sure Eyesee certainly would, to protect your Data, that is Important?

Seriously, I used the same Technique to Salvage a Very Important Drive for myself, even though it was an XP Disk on another XP Machine. My Disk has five Partitions, so hooking it up that way enabled me to save my Important Data from C: Drive onto another Partition on the Drive. After that I used Windows XP to reformat the C: Drive on the HDD and it is now ready for me to reinstall Windows XP on my new Machine. You could actually do the same, just be sure to run a Anti Virus on the Drive before you actually open the Drive up to look at it, then save the Data you need onto the XP's HDD, then you can Burn it onto DVD, CDs or Save it to USB, or External HDD without the Hassles and Risk.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 31 January 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

SaraRose Win98 I'm presumming SE doesn't recognise USB flash drives without the appropriate software installed first. Now I've tried the links shown on here but I can never get them to work. It will depend on the make and model of your flash drive. I use PQI and Kingston. Now the maximum size of Kingston drive that will be recognised on Win98SE is 2GB the green ones, they are quite cheap on eBay.

If you know the make and model then you should be able to download the proper Win98SE drivers from the manufacturer web site. You can with PQI and Kingston.

Other than that you try and correct your burning software so you can burn a DVD or 2. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#15 Dickens68

Dickens68

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Even though I'm new here, I can tell you what I used to do in the late 90's when I had similar problems -or when we wanted to just mess around.

I used to connect 2 machines using an LPT (printing cable). It is slooooowwwww, but was faster (and more secure) than copy stuff using floppy disks.:thumbsup: (also some games supported it I think)

So what you need is another computer, and LPT (printer) cable and Total commander which can be downloaded from http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

Download and install it on both computers, Connect the computers on the printer port than click on Net than Port connection to other PC. Than select server on the other computer and client on the computer you have. Now you should be able to mess around with it.

Regards,
D

Edited by Dickens68, 18 April 2010 - 09:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users