Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro won't boot to Operating System

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 billkater

billkater

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

About 3 weeks ago my computer quit booting into XP. I thought it may have been a power failure corrupted the hard drive.(We had one cause all the clocks were flashing) So I went through the task of format and reinstall of XP Pro.

Today I went out to start my computer and it was doing the same thing. (I got into the habit of turning off my computer when not using it now. So it was off.) It pops up the screen thats says:

Windows failed to start. ect, ect ect, Select what you want to do, ect ect ect

safe mode
safe mode with networking
last know good config
start normally

No matter which option I select, it returns to this screen. So, what would be the first thing to look at?

MBR?
bootini?
something else???

I have a complete image of the drive (backups incase of a crash) so if I am unable to recover I can get back 99% or the info without problems.

Thanks for the help.

Here is my system info:

CPU: Intel P4 E Prescott 3200MHz
Motherboard: Asus p4p800-E Deluxe
Memory: 4096 MB of OCZ 4 x 1024 mb PC3200
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9250 Radeon
Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital WD1600YS 160.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS in raid1
Monitor: HANNS-G JW199D
CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: Plextor PX-W1610A
DVD R/W: Nec ND-3520A
Storage Interface: SATA,SATA-RAID
Sound Card: onboard sound
Speakers: Altec Lansing
Internet Connection: verizon xDSL @ 3Mbps/768Kbps
Operating System: Windows XP Pro Sp2
Other Components: Power supply - Fortron AX450-PN
Enermax UC-9FATR12 Fan control / card reader.
Notes: All of this shoved into a Evercase E4232b-81 Black case with three 120mm fans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 billkater

billkater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

I ran chkdsk on each of the 2 raid system disk ( I am running RAID 1).

The first disc came back, chkdsk found one or more errors in the volume and fixed

The second disc came back with no problems found.

Now, am I wrong or isn't RAID1 suppose to protect your data incase one of the drives fail? Which I believe is what has happened.

I unhooked the failed or failing drive and tried to boot from the good one but still got the BSD.

Am running chkdsk on it again.

As a side note. When loading the XP recovery console from the CD I got a BSD that had a code of 0x0000006f. If not mistaken this is a hardware error. (or driver error)

After changing to different drive was able to get into recovery console ok.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

The reason that you got the BSOD when loading the Recovery Console was most likely because it could not recognise the RAID array as the drivers are not native to the disk.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 billkater

billkater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

I had taken one of the drives out and was using it as a stand alone to test. I did not want to test or try to repair both at the same time. Just in case it corrupted the data.

chkdsk showed errors in the volume and fixed them. Scanned a second time and found no problem. Still will not boot from the drive.

Am doing a repair install on the drive now.

#6 billkater

billkater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Ok;

Did a Repair Install of XP Pro. All files and programs seem to be intact except Acronis True Image Home. When I go to use it I get a pop-up error about not being able to find a hard drive and a error code. Acronis website describes the problem as the MBR not present and tells how to fix. It also warns all data on the drive will be lost.

I am getting ready to start testing with HotCPU. Any suggestions on other testing to find the root cause of my problem? Or what test to do with HotCPU?

Note: I only have one hard drive installed in case of crashing the drive with HotCPU.

Thansk

Bill

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

You could also run a diagnostic check on the hard drives.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 billkater

billkater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

HotCPU has been running for 3 hours now, got about 3 more to go. After it is done I am going to test the RAM again with memtest. I am also going to run WD diagnostics on the drive again.

I may do the burn in test from HotCPU before I head off to bed.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

You need to let Memtest run for a long time - best to leave it over night.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 billkater

billkater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

You need to let Memtest run for a long time - best to leave it over night.

Started memtest and let it run all night. Showed no errors when I got up.

So, here is what I have done so far:

1. Did XP repair install.

2. Ran full test on 1 of the 2 hard drives using Western Digital diognostics. No problems found

3. Ran full test on memory using MemTest (over night run). No errors reported

4. Ran full test using HotCPU. no problems found

5. Ran ChkDsk on 1 of the 2 hard drives. No errors reported.

Unless there is another test I can do I think my hardware is up to snuff. Now I am going to test the second hard drive to see if it passes or not. (the 1st time I checked it with ChkDsk it found errors in the volumes and fixed them)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users