Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired connection much slower than wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 felinefury

felinefury

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my wired desktop up to my desired internet speed. My laptops connect to the same router/modem wirelessly and frequently get ~4-5 mbps while my desktop that's connected directly to the router via ethernet cable is getting 1 mbps at best. These speeds were obtained from speedtest.net - it also showed my desktop ping to be ~80-90 ms! Conversely, the laptops have a ping less than 20 ms. The router is a Linksys WRT160N.

I'm rather perplexed as to why my wired connection could be so much worse than my wireless ones when common sense says it should be the reverse, if anything. Can anybody give me any advice or pointers to improve my wired connection?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

What version(s) of windows are we talking about?

Do you have Cable or DSL?

Can you post the link things from Speedtest.net for both?

And you are correct that is weird lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 felinefury

felinefury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Window XP Home on all the computers involved; DSL connection

Here's the desktop's SpeedTest results:
Posted Image

Laptop's SpeedTest results:
Posted Image

Again, any help is appreciated!

Edited by felinefury, 01 February 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#4 felinefury

felinefury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

I just tried wiring my laptop to my router using the same ethernet cable that normally connects my desktop to the router. I disabled the wireless function of the laptop temporarily. Result?

Posted Image

So I can rule out the router being the problem and I can rule out the ethernet cable being faulty. Which means it's my desktop - not sure if it's software or hardware though. I haven't experienced much slowdown in the desktop functions outside of the internet; is there any chance spyware/malware could be the cause? I haven't picked up anything on the desktop with Spybot or MBAM. Any ideas?

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

You mentioned you are running Spybot and Malwarebytes, any others ? It's possible you are over-protected on the desktop. Many security products these days intercept received internet traffic at the driver level and scan it on the fly. "Stacking" a few of these can cause your throughput to plummet, particularly with pseudo-random blocks of bits like most of the speed testers use. Try disabling any browser based, toolbar type security temporarily for the test, then move on to other installed security utilities. You will probably find a couple that are interacting with each other to really slow things down. The obvious first choice would be anything that is NOT installed on your laptops !

If that doesn't work, try deleting the Ethernet card in the Device Manager and rebooting to let Windows re-add it. That seems to clear up a lot of odd issues, particularly when firewall software has been removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users