Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D and E drives.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Feast On Scraps

Feast On Scraps

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

I don't know whats wrong with my computer, I have a computer that comes with a (A:) (C:) (D:) and (E:) drive, but when I put a disc in the E or D drive it doesn't come up. And even 'My Computer' only shows the A and C drive. But no E or D. Yet, the device manager has the E and D drive up, but there is a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

This means your computer sees the drives,but something is still "screwey", so highlight the device with an exclamation mark, then select properties, this will give us more info to go on , it will tell you what the problem is here, bad drivers, problem with the device etc.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:27 PM

Right Click the drives with the :thumbsup: Remove or Uninstall them then restart your computer and let windows reload them.

#4 Feast On Scraps

Feast On Scraps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

Right Click the drives with the excl.gif Remove or Uninstall them then restart your computer and let windows reload them.

Tried that, same problem as last time.

This means your computer sees the drives,but something is still "screwey", so highlight the device with an exclamation mark, then select properties, this will give us more info to go on , it will tell you what the problem is here, bad drivers, problem with the device etc.

I get this

'Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)'

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

Did you remove iTunes just before this happened?

Go to:
Start>Run>(type) regedit

We are going to do some registry edits so be sure to backup the registry before starting.

Backup you registry by:
1 - Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
2 - Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
3 - Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
4 - Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button

Then:

Locate the UpperFilters & Lowerfilters value (on the right side) under the following key in the registry: Right Click it and Delete. Lowerfilters may not be present.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then go to the Device Manager remove your Rom Drives and restart.

Edited by River_Rat, 30 August 2005 - 03:51 PM.

#6 Feast On Scraps

Feast On Scraps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Thats really helpful, thanks river rat. But I don't get the option 'Export
Registry File' and I have XP. So I don't really want to tamper with the reg, unless I back up. Any ideas why I don't get the option.

#7 Feast On Scraps

Feast On Scraps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:46 PM

Nevermind I figured it out.

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

did rats help work?
have you checked out other hardware venues like:
1.replacing the ide cable with another udma5 80 connector ribbon cable?
2. take out an atapi device (cd rom) and set the other to master, and boot up to see if one of the devices has electronically malfunctioned. this is a possible cause, you have to determine which one is the culprit, so remove one at a time, set the remaining one to master , then check device manager to see what it says.
3.check the bios settings to see if your bios sees them
4.reset your bios values, (take off battery for 5 minutes)

let us know how you made out
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users