Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run .exe files after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve1227

steve1227

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hi everyone,

First off, thank you to this site for pointing me to Super AntiSpyware, which I used to successfully remove a rogue antivirus thing.

However, I now cannot run .exe files, except for Internet Explorer. I tried getting the file association fix from Doug's site, but my computer says it cannot access the registry when I try to import the file. Am I just going about it wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help in getting things back to normal!

-Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

My (limited) experience with malware is...it's not uncommon for various key Windows processes to be killed off (made inaccessible) by various malware items.

My systems never get infected, but it seems that I have friends who have friends with infected systems.

Had a system (friend of a friend) a couple of days ago that appeared to have the Personal Securiy malware item. But I suspect there was more, since I managed to remove that (attached the drive as a secondary to 2d computer, ran Malwarebytes) and reattached the drive to the affected system.

Same restrictions...no access to regedit, no ability to connect to Microsoft, no ability to install or run any programs, no Task Manager on the affected system.

Made two attempts to do repair installs...files appeared to install...screen would hang on "Please Wait" indefinitely on the reboot effort where the new system files get registered, load, etc.

After a few hours of this and another trip to my other system (ran Avira Free, found more malware items) and another, last (unsuccesful) effort at a repair install...I did a clean install and gave the system a clean slate (for the time being). I had fiddled away about 8 hours that I could spent here at the forum, learning and trying to assist.

FWIW: There is no known (to me) product that removes everything, there is no known product that finds all malware...and there is certainly no known product that can undo all the unknown damage that may have been done to the system.

Louis

#3 steve1227

steve1227
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Well I can access regedit by using the task manager and opening a command prompt window. And I am able to open the registy folders when I get there too. It's just that when I try to import the reg file, I get an error message saying that the registry cannot be accessed. Maybe there is a way to copy/paste the contents of the reg file?

Or will I have to pop in my recovery discs? Not looking forward to that!

Steve

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Your computer is probably still infected. Create new topic at "Am I infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users